Adding own notes (reviews, biographies, web links, etc.) to albums, artists, compositions, playlists …

Another vote from me! The ability to edit file metadata, and reviews, biographies, lyrics, etc. would make this a killer piece of software.

2 Likes

Seems like an obvious feature, and was first requested several years ago. No progress on this? I know you can add a comment at the track level, which is fine, but 1. Need to be able to comment on albums and artists, and need those notes to be visible or accessible with a click.

8 Likes

Well, how many years have you asked for it? :grinning:

Well, how many years have you asked for it?

Why is that important?

Just a mild and apparently unsuccessful attempt at humor.

1 Like

Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result… :blush:

Still, gotta keep that bug in their ear :ant:

3 Likes

yep, keep on keeping on it!

4 Likes

Yes, let’s keep this request alive!

1 Like

bumpity - bump.
Still plugging away ripping all my CDs to disk. There’s so much I’d like to add to my Roon metadata; links, reviews, artist profiles… what an incredibly rich and personal experience Roon could be if I were able to make it mine…

No “official” word?

1 Like

I would like to add my tuppence worth to this debate. Back in the day I used to use a windows application called Helium and I thought it was great, it had links to a music database where you could automatically get metadata to enhance the tags on your music files including record reviews, artist bios etc, pretty much as Roon does now. However, it went a lot further and you could add information about record labels such as a website address, being able to add record label logos or pics of the actual labels on vinyl records or CDs. It also had a section on music genres, again including the ability to add an image of some sort to represent the genre and where you could provide an explanation of the type of music and so on. All of these options also included a user input feature as well, so if you didn’t like the review or even the image provided by the linked website then the user could replace it with one of their choice.
I thought Helium was a superb application at the time and the only reason I stopped using it was because I moved from Microsoft to Apple and have been using Apple exclusively now for many years. I really thought I would never find an application to come close to Helium again especially for Apple but Roon certainly comes pretty close and, although I’m generally happy with what Roon provides, it would just put the icing on the cake to be able to add or overwrite those features…I am a coder so I also know that what we are asking is not necessarily all that easy to do but surely no all that hard either…

Anyway, for what it’s worth, that my tuppence worth. I think the ability to add these features myself would be an excellent addition to an already superb application.

2 Likes

Another vote from me. I’ve been waiting for this feature for a long time…

1 Like

Agreed, so have many folk whose tastes are not in the main North American.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. I am perplexed why Roon staff do not reply to posts like these. I’ve read some excuses on the forum about the difficulty of implementing multi-line edit fields, but why make it so difficult? Why not just provide the facility to import a text file for an artist bio or album review in the same way as you can import your own image. Simple.

What I’ve heard, is that they need to keep count/track of what reviews/bios are accessed…
A lot of us work in IT and this is not hard to track. It’s a field like EVERY other field in Roon - PREFER ROON or FILE or EDIT, and just allows a few more characters than say TITLE or ARTIST.
ROON

This would be great. It’s weird that everything is customizable - except reviews. And as great and exhaustive as AllMusic is for 20th Century music - after about 2005 or so it really starts to get spotty - many, many albums with no rating, no review, no nothing. Probably around the same time it was taken over and began to be milked for every last penny by the new corporate overlords. Which meant the site began to be riddled with ads to the point that the site won’t actually load sometimes, and probably included staff cutbacks which means that it’s no longer able to live up to its name of ALLmusic. So many orphaned albums ignored by allmusic - why not at the very least be able to write your own review where there isn’t one?

I suspect the lack of this feature, and radio silence from Roon staff, is somehow tied to the licensing agreements they have entered into with the metadata providers. Just a guess. I’m not sure why else a review couldn’t be edited the same way anything else is editable, as Charles pointed out above. Who knows, it might be a bit tricky to implement. But this is certainly not an insurmountable issue from a technical standpoint, and it’s certainly not for lack of interest from users, as many have made noise about it, and plus it seems like such an obvious no-brainer - so it has to be something else keeping this from happening.

For now I would be happy with the simple ability to run a google search from roon. Like you have in Kindle when you highlight a term - options to search dictionary, wiki or web. If I want reviews on an album I can look them up, but it would be great to have such a shortcut. The ability to then save what you found to the specific album or artist would be a bonus.
But I suspect this is a copyright issue more than a technical one. Many such online reviews will have copyright; once Roon is using them in a paid product they would presumably have to pay royalties or have some sort of copyright agreement with the owners.

1 Like

If Roon let the link customization, then you could add a Google link for artists, etc.

1 Like

I add the review link to the album artist tag. When viewing the album just copy the link and paste into web browser.

It would be great if we have the possibility to add a note or comment next to the track. It doesn’t have to appear in full, but just a little sign that there is a note attached, or add it on the ‘3 dot’ menu on the right (that starts with Add to a playlist). It’s okay for me if the note is not searchable - free form text is good enough. I can then capture my comments about a particular track if needed.

2 Likes

Bumpity bump. Any bets that this will be included / not included in Roon 1.8?