Advice about how to set up my relatively small home office room for listening

I could use some advice about how to set up my relatively small home office room for listening and work. Presently it’s more like a room focused on a desk & computer in the centre of the room, with speakers (KEF LSX) placed on the work desk. So a work room in which I can listen. What I’d like to do is change it to more of a listening room in which I can also work. Does that make any sense? My challenge I guess is placing the speakers in the room so that they work both for listening and for at-desk working. Would love to see some photos/layouts of listening rooms with a space for a desk.

Here is how I have it layed out currently. The LSX speakers are on each corner of the desk facing the desk chair. Great for desk work, not so great for couch listening.

Paul,

I have a small home office, measuring just 8x15. Pictures are provided. My desk sits facing the window while my small office stereo sits to my right and my speakers are in-wall directly behind me. This has the disadvantage of having your music coming from behind you, but given the space and how everything fits it was the only real option for me. I could’ve went for small monitors on the desk but I saw 2 disadvantages. First, I just don’t have the desk real estate with two computers always open on it, and second, I really didn’t want the music right on top of me. As much as the music behind me isn’t ideal, it solves my problems. Plus my desk chair swivels to face my speakers when I want a break from work to just listen.

My equipment is:

• Klipsch R-5650 WII in wall speakers
  • REL T/5X (hidden behind the big comfy chair in front of the speakers
  • MyTek Brooklyn DAC
  • Parasound Zamp v.3 Amplifier
  • Mac Mini dedicated as a Roon Server and also has the MyTek Brooklyn connected via USB
  • Synology DS415 Play storing all the music files

Will this setup blow your socks off? Absolutely not. But it certainly gives me joy while working. I’ve been in this home office now for nearly 4 years, the past 2 years 5 days a week, and it is a blessing to have.

Add images

6 Likes

Have you thought about turning the desk around and placing it facing the lefthand wall?

My office is 3m by 2.2m, and I’ve used one of the long walls for my desk as follows:

The ‘desk’ is a 3m worktop sat on top of two sets of drawers from Ikea. On the opposite side of the room, though it isn’t positioned ideally, I have an armchair for listening when I’m not sat at the desk.

The only downside I can see for you is you wouldn’t be able to see out of the window as you can now, nor would you have window light on your desk.

I see you’ve cut down on the Sunday morning drinking…

1 Like

Stocks were at a low ebb at that point. Here’s the current ‘end of desk’ collection …

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion… I considered that but you are correct I would lose the window view and I’d have the door at my back.

1 Like

Maybe a different room. I think I could annex part of the basement if I did it gradually :crossed_fingers: