Advice needed about going back to 1.8

With the latest updates Roon 2.0 it is now becoming close to unusable.

I’d like to try to experiment back with the 1.8 legacy before taking another decision (upgrade to a newer mas powerful NAS, invest in a ROCK/NUC, … whatever).

Is there a way to have the 2 versions 2.0 and 1.8 coexist, although not running at the same time.

What are the options? I do not believe I can install both versions as a package, I was thinking having 1.8 in a docker.

Anyone tried it?

1 Like

Maybe it would be an option to report the issue you are experiencing, I see no recent posts from you about it. Most people seem to report performance improvements (or at worst no change) with recent updates for 2.0. Not sure about the annoying remote freeze issue (not experiencing that one).

You can use both 1.8 and 2.0, but not concurrently and I don’t think you can install it on the same machine. I guess Docker should work. And the databases are incompatible now, so you will have two entirely separate ones.

Many of my issues have already been reported (Freezes, unresponsive remote, greyed album info, interruption when changing file, …) and despite support staff stating several of these have been fixed, they are simply not resolved and this has been reported. And there is little I could add except saying mee too.

All are related to the way version 2.0 is searching information on the net.

Anyhow as long as browsing for music of information on the remote interrupts what is currently playing 2.0 is not for me.

I see. It’s annoying for sure.

While that might indeed not provide a direct contribution to a solution, it might help the support & development teams prioritize by assigning resources to the issues that impact most users.

Really? Don’t seem to have for this issue it’s been a big issue for lots of us coming up for 4 months. I don’t see that as prioritising anything and there are lots of threads and two big ones on the whole debacle. Yet we get folder browsing a feature very few wanted. Go figure. Any way I have said enough on this topic in so many threads to no avail. My subscription expires on 13th and I have cancelled my renewal until they sort this mess out.

You can’t migrate from 2.0 to 1.8 you will have to install it and run from scratch as you can’t restore the db from 2 to 1.8 so will loose all history, edits etc. You can run them separately in two different dockers and start up one over the other deactivate the other version each time you switch’s

1 Like

with build 1401 it seems the usability issues are resolved, to the downgrading project is on hold.

fingers crossed

1 Like