Advise on optimizing performance on ROON with FLAC upsampling to DSD on a i5 Windows laptop

I have successfully set up a DSD upsampling using a Windows surface laptop connected thru USB to DAC but struggling with poor playback tracking and jitter.

Which quality is optimal DSD 64, 128 or 256?

Why are you upsampling DSD.

2 Likes

noobie here, not sure on proper terminology yet but I am using DSP from Tidal streaming with DSD sampling conversion on Roon.

So, are you trying to play native DSD file or are you upsampling a flac file to DSD. If upsampling, turn that off and see if the flac plays OK.

2 Likes

no native DSD file. Im using FLAC files from Tidal. FLAC play well. I was able to play an upsample but struggling and skipping.

That’s the answer.

2 Likes

The one that your computer can handle. You may have the best experience not upsampling at all as your computer is possibly at its performance limits. Trial and error is the only way to know.

1 Like

ok thank you will experiment further

1 Like

So, you are having Roon do the first MQA decode and then upsampling that to DSD?

Have a look at your Signal Path.
You do that by clicking the coloured dot near the bottom left of the Now Playing screen.
If your processing speed is any less than about 1.5X that means your computer is not up to task for the DSP settings you’re using and this is likely why you’re getting dropouts etc.
DSD is very processor intensive.
Ideally you’d want it well over 2X.

4 Likes

I was just about to ask what the processing speed was as this surely sounds like the PC is falling flat on its face, good call!
As another option for Upsampling I have found that just regular Upsampling, not to DSD, is less demanding of the PC resources.
So where dsd128 for example might fall down, PCM 384 might be ok.
Always worth trying out @Ram_Mercado

2 Likes

No I don’t play MQA files just FLAC.

Ok great advice will look into it thanks

1 Like

Ok thanks good to know.

UPDATE: It is playing seamlessly now by lowering DSD conversion rate to 128 .

3 Likes

And at dsd128 what is your current processing speed…out of curiosity.

Are you sure? You mentioned Tidal and most of Tidal’s content is MQA. Can you post a pic of your signal path?

1 Like

I have DSD256 playing very well too,.no hiccups. Here is a screenshot…

1 Like

You don’t have much headroom there at a processing speed of x2. If you hit a MQA file which you will as their is no escape on Tidal on either of their paid toward Hifi gets a lot of MQA 16bit files it might take a further hit as the authentication requires some overheads and if MQA decoding is active then even more. Might explain why it’s been hit and miss. I would stick to 128 if you must upsample as that will give you enough free power.

1 Like

Upsample as high as your PC can handle. If you don’t use convolution, most PCs can easily do DSD128. Make sure you turn off upsampling in the DAC!

1 Like