Afraid to commit to Roon - But I did for a year :-)

I started buying LP’s in the in the mid 70’s to mid 80’s. Most were crap. Wafer thin and warped upon putting on the platter. I still have credit receipts from Crazy Eddies.

Oil prices were spiking. Hence the lack of quality of LP’s.

And now we are short of toilet paper.
Everything is going backward.

I still have an oppo 105 plus a Panasonic DMP 9000 and Sony X1100es. No idea if any would rip the sacd, dvd-audio or pure audio and wouldn’t know how.

I am a new lifetime subscriber. Do I regret my purchase? No and yes. Overall it does a great job of organizing my music, etc. My only regret is that I can’t export playlists correctly, the order of songs is lost. I also can’t import m3u playlist from other programs, even though the file paths are correct. It turns out I have to put all my music in the same storage path. But my biggest regret is that my music is not accessible outside my home. Remote access is not a built in feature. I was disappointed to learn this, but the product is fine otherwise. Not a negative or positive review, but neutral on my part.

2 Likes

You are aware that the general concensus in Europe, is that US pressings are preferred for better sound, mastering and collectability? :slight_smile:
I always figured it was partly due to the availability of raw oil for virgin vinyl manufacturing.

Who remembers the Free Flexi Discs that came with NME and the like.
I had Dishevelment Blues by The Faces until it got a fold in it :joy:
The music was fit for the format, I expect a visit to the pub was involved :joy: but it’s not lost, you can find it as an extra somewhere

Now I found that in one simple search in Roon… Just saying…

1 Like

That looks like it should be a feature request. If nobody reports these things, they’ll never get addressed.

1 Like

Aye!!!
:smiley:

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’re referring to current vinyl or ‘yesteryear’? For ‘yesteryear’ (original pressings) I’d still suggest that UK or German (& Japanese) pressings were typically better than their American counterparts, largely due to the better quality vinyl. Simply, they were always heavier.

Collectibility is something totally different & as a general rule original pressings tend to be the most collectible (but not always for a variety of reasons - there’s no exact ‘science’ here).

Cheers. :musical_note:

That’s due to all of the impuritites in the vinyl mix! :wink: (Just kidding!)

I was actually referring to pressings up till 1992 or so. And from a straight sound quality perspective i am very fond of “cut out’s”! They are generally reasonably priced but sound great in most cases.

Of course these speculations are generalisations, but…

1 Like

Yeah, now that you mention it, it was the early '70s when vinyl pressings started to go bad and begged the invention of the CD.

Classical music, with its need for silence and quiet passages, was the worse.
Heavy metal and what came to be called arena rock, not so much.

1 Like

Well, I was really thinking about the quality of records today compared to those of pre cd era. So a bit earlier than 1992. Hard to remember exactly; it’s not like it was yesterday anymore. :grin:

As for cut-outs, I really don’t have all that many. I didn’t like it ruined ‘my’ cover art & perhaps liner notes. However, with hindsight, they certainly provided value. There was no reason why a cut out would sound any different. They were only discounted (cut-out) due to overstocking and/or being discontinued. The cut out would then ensure the consumer got the discount & non returnable by the retailer.

So, did they sound any good? Ummmm…as good as it got. :rofl:

1 Like

Robert,

Even if you get them ripped (multi-channel I mean) where can they be played? My DAC is only two channel…is there even such a thing as multi-channel DAC’s? Must be I guess.

Where did you get them ripped for you?

Cheers,
Larry

Just a suggestion, I bought a $200 player and ripped my SACD’s myself using this method.

I am converting my sacd iso’s to DSF as we speak…

1 Like

I only ripped the 2-channel SACDs. But the multichannel can be ripped as well. Oppo players should play multi channel rips fine (not thru Roon though).

Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Oppo 103 that I could experiment with. Man would I love to play them like I do with Roon. I’ll check it out.

Thanks,
Larry

1 Like

I never tinkered with the multi-channel SACD rips. There is a program I used called DVD Audio Extractor that I made DVD-A and DVD-V music rips in both Stereo and multichannel back with I had an Oppo BDP-95. The software is kind of clunky but works more or less.

1 Like

USB stick doesn’t require a cable… :grinning: