Afraid to commit to Roon - But I did for a year :-)

I was joking a bit there. The Oppo and Bryston players have USB access in the front of the device.

Okay, having been reading been only because I got into hot water for being polite and answering each person who wrote directly to me, which got me banned for a day, I realsied this program is probably not for me.

Last evening, for hours, I got my husband to listen to Roon and MC26. Like me, he thought MC26 sounded better.

Reading what people have been writing I realized I hadn’t a clue what most were on about.

We have a 23eft by 13 ft room which is our liuvin g room. The cables for the speakers are in the walls. The room is mostly glass on 3 sides with a glass roff. Triple glazed and outside even when my music is blasting inside one cannot hear it.

THIS is where we listen. We don’t listen elsewhere. We only listen to uncompressed music. I don’t recall who said so, but nowhere did I write that I will only buy 192khz or listen to it. No. Not what I wrote. I might be brain damaged. but I am not a fool as result. I have a host of physical problems and a bad memory but my IQ is still intact. WE can hear the difference between a 192 and a 44.12k. i put on a record hubby knows very well in 192khz. Before the first track was over he asked what I had done. Upon enquiry it was because he thought it was the best he had heard the music sound. That was all i needed to know the file was superior.

It is the SOUND that matters. I love the way Roon looks but I want to hear not see. As I alreqdt said much of what you have discussed is mean ingless to me. I don 't know what gthe words mean.

I have this: a Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver, a 65" Panasonic 2019 OLED, a 2020 MacBookPro 1TB SSD with 4 Thunderbolt ports to hold all of the music files. They are played thru an Audiolab 8300cdq cd player(only) but with an. excellent Dac that plays up to 384k and DSD 128, simple sound adjusters I can adjust, equalizers that make sense via MC26.

(The one I found after a long search in Roon is a type I have never seen let alone can use. Though it sounds good without any adjustments but I hate paying for stuff I can’t use.)

6 Monitor Silver 8’s floor standers and one centre speaker along with 2 REL subs.

1 Panasonic DMP 900, 1 Sony X1100ES , and 1 Oppo 105.

Pro-Ject Xtention 10 turntable.

We are happy with this. Yamaha are coming out latwer in the year with a new flagship Receiver but if it doesn’t have imporovements in the soun d or dacs I won’t be cahnagiung.

I hope this response gets posted. I hope it makes sense. I hope it is clear why IJ think Roon is n ot for me. Does this mena I can’t stay here? I’d likke to learn more.

Eitgher way it has been very interestikn g but it has taught me that Roon is well beyond what I need.

(i gave up trying to keep with clorrectin g all m y errors. hut am sjure you are all smart en ough to know what I ma saying. My finers aree just notg working andd i an’t use my voice to type right now.)

PS: I listed some of tghe new artists I liksten to. now. I do n ot use any strreeamin g tghing but still manage to find new artists regularly. I am not stuck in the y70’s music wise.

Roon is not for everyone for who knows how many reasons people will find. I have both mc26 and roon and use roon 99% of the time. I’ve had Mc from v18 I think but hardly ever use it now with roon for 4+ years

You can stay in the community as far as I know without running roon.

1 Like

I agree, I have submitted those requests some time ago.

1 Like

Feel free to hang out here whatever your choice of music player… It is a public forum as far as i know :slight_smile:

You disclosed some of your kit here, but i have missed what you are using as a source? I suppose it’s a Windows PC of some kind?
I also use JRiver and Roon, but i can honestly not say that i can hear an audible difference between them in my setup. It’s just that i feel music sounds better when running my Roon Core and endpoints on simple, low power equipment. But likewise, remote controlling JRiver on a headless low power computer sounds very similar when feeding a good DAC.

Me too , I use a Cambridge Audio CXN for JRiver, RPi/Allo Digione for Roon

Both Feed the same Audiolab M-DAC as a headphone amp , I hear no real difference

Hello @Knitman,

I just mentioned that in order to get surround sound capability in Roon I have to pay extra when it comes with MC which could have been included in Roon as part of the program.

I’ve been using Roon for 5.1 playback of my various ripped surround (SACD, DVD-A, DTS-CD) discs right along, I do not recall any extra charge for that or even any need for additional Roon components. Could you further explain what you are referring to?

I tried and gave up with UPnP years ago, too many variations on its mplementationt, lack of gapless, syncing them never worked well. BubbleUPnP is the best controller that tries it’s best but your still at the mercy of devices capabilities and the limitations of the server software you choose and the protocol still can’t get gapless on all devices. I still run assert and Bubble for out of home use but it’s far from stable and often endpoints just don’t show up.

I have used JRiver with uPnP / DLNA for 10 years with no issues, first with a laptop as an End Point and then. CXN

I really don’t know what the fuss is about, Dark Side of the Moon plays perfectly :joy:

1 Like

You missed the important part of my thread it’s very much device led. I have several devices that refuse gapless what ever software I used this is why I ditched and went for Squeezebox and then to Roon. I have tried AudiVarna it failed to see half my endpoints via UPnP and doesn’t work with BubbleUPnP, jRiver to me is just horrid and would never touch it with a barge pole. I agree with Danny on all things UPnP.

UPnP not universal and not plug and play.
And once it’s in a state, such as the server on my Synology heaven help you.

I agree the JRiver GUI is rather old fasioned

I only use JRiver GUI for maintenance, the rest of the time I use JRemote, mconnect and Cambridge Audio StreamMagic depending on how I feel

The only reason I use it at all is for big box sets where I can control what I see. Ie until Roon sorts out box sets

I probably use Roon 90%

1 Like

Also even Naim had there own version of it in the latest models. Would only play gapless using their own app until quite recently. So it’s not plain sailing in the world of DNLA believe me, you have been lucky with your CXN my Arcam amp also refuses to play well unless you use Arcams own software which is gash.

No. I did say. I i use a 1tb ssd MacBookPro, brand new and used solely for music files.

It’s not just about reading who played what, I have found further more obscure music reading the text as bands split, artists move on sometimes into obscurity others resurface in bands you wouldn’t even consider but when you research the info given more music unfolds some to my taste others not, but I would have missed them without Roon. I’m an early life membership guy, I’m ahead if they ever fold, I do run the what if’s but Comfortable with my decisions. Good job ROON

3 Likes

Your OPPO BDP-105 will rip SACDs. I have ripped over 200 SACDs with my OPPO BDP-105. It’s not difficult - the procedure and files you need to do it can be easily found with a Google search.

UPnP can be rocksolid if you use a good server software and not the stuff that comes preinstalled on the NAS

I agree that UPnP can be stable and reliable. In fact, in my experience, UPnP has always worked without the slightest hitch.

I’ve run Twonky cross platform many times without problems.

This is why the whole UPnP is unreliable debate has always baffled me.

Could be that I’ve always been Lucky.

As you gather above I don’t see what all the fuss is about

Chopin, Pollini , JRiver sounds fine and behaves itself :heart:

It’s unreliable because it is wildly inconsistent, depending on the gear or server you use. Implementations vary wildly in quality. It’s the largest part of UPnP’s failure.

2 Likes