After music storage reorg, tracks in playlist show as "Unavailable"

I can understand that the tracks were unavailable before Roon had a chance to re-scan the storage, but now the albums where these tracks reside are in Roon, I can go to them and play them. Yet, the playlist shows these tracks as “Unavailable”.

I reorganized two NASes from RAID 1 to RAID 5/SHR, and as a result, the music changed location. But to me, once Roon recognized and consumed the album, the tracks in the playlists should shows as available.

Thanks,
Goran

And all my favorite song markings/hearts are gone!!! @Support, help!

Hello? Anybody?

Okay, so apparently the solution is to restore from backup. Here is what my backup says - last backup made on October 18:

But when I go to Restore, it says Backup found, June 27!!!

Why is this happening?? Why is the Backup Manager not pointing to the latest backup, which is October 18?

I checked this is the correct backup folder, the same as the one in Scheduled Backups.

Thanks,
Goran

Okay, so apparently the solution is to restore from backup. Here is what my backup says - last backup made on October 18:

But when I go to Restore, it says Backup found, June 27!!!

Why is this happening?? Why is the Backup Manager not pointing to the latest backup, which is October 18?

I checked this is the correct backup folder, the same as the one in Scheduled Backups.

@noris, can you help?

Thanks,
Goran

Hello @G_Man, can you send me a screenshot of your backups folder? Also, have you rebooted since this started occurring?

Hi Nuwriy,

Here is the screenshot. I will try rebooting now.

Thank you,
Goran

I rebooted. It still says June 27. Please look at that snapshot carefully - that is the date of the backup, not the date that version of Roon was released, right?

Thanks again,
Goran

And here are the contents of the drilled backup folder

@nuwriy? Help, please?

Thanks,
Goran

This is Day 5 of no response by Roon @support, specifically @nuwriy, who looked like was going to help me 3 days ago but he has not.

In absence of better information I will call this a bug in Roon Backup and Recovery. I have been religiously backing up Roon 3 times a week for 3 years now, but now when I need it, Recovery is broken, showing me a backup from June 27 when the latest backup was October 18.

How about documentation? Where is the guide to successfully restructure your storage without losing your favorites or playlists in Roon.

I am very disappointed.

Hello @G_Man, and my apologies for the delayed response here. I wanted to speak with my team about this issue. From the screenshots, everything seems to be there. Could you please try backing up to a different location and seeing if Roon can Identify that copy?

Hi @nuwriy, that worked. When I did a “Backup Now” to a different location, after it finished, and I did “Find Backups” it found the new backup from this evening.

But surely, I should be able to pick which backup I want to restore from my 50 backups? Yes or No? If yes, how?

I need to restore from that October 18th backup.

Thanks,
Goran

Thanks for confirming that that worked for you, @G_Man.

It’s hard to say just yet why the other backup didn’t work for you while the new backup is working. Here’s what I’d like to do so we can get to the bottom of this — Can you send us the entire Roon Backups folder for the backup that isn’t restoring? You can send it to us here:

Thanks!

Hello @G_Man, and thanks for your patience while our QA team performed their investigation. Could you please try removing the ‘RoonBackups’ folder from within your ‘RoonBackup’ folder, give your core a reboot, and check to see if the October backup can be seen?

I did this, and it worked: I was able to see a list of bunch of backups, and was able to restore from the right backup.

HOWEVER, that did not fix the problem. The problem is that all my playlist show the tracks from my own library as “Unavailable”. I read some articles that Roon should correct this problem by itself - after all, Roon knows exactly from which album and which version of the album a track was taken. Even though temporarily those albums disappeared when I moved them, but after Roon rescanned them, Roon should have found all the albums and updated all the playlists, right? I mean this is one of the reasons Roon is great.

Please help me understand why this updating is not happening. Otherwise, my life will suck if I have to manually re-add all the tracks to all the playlists.

Thanks,
Goran

Hello @G_Man, could you please send me a screenshot of Settings>Storage and a screenshot of one of these unavailable tracks and the file path to said track via file explorer/finder?

Hi @nuwriy,

I would like to resume this conversation.

This is what I see

This is the file info that I see there

If I go to the Artist then this album (because Album here in the playlist shows “This Album was not Found”, I am proving to you here that the album is in the Roon library:

And finally, here is the file info of that song which is supposed to be in the playlist, but is unavailabile:

So Roon knows this artist/album, and the artist/album is in the Roon library. So why isn’t Roon repairing my library??

I see this under the unavailable song-in-the-playlist “Edit Menu”, what isn’t itRe-Identify working?

Thanks,
Goran