After QNAP SW update Roon now showing no tracks in my library

Roon Core Machine

QNAP 882, Intel i7 16GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Lumin U1

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon was working fine on my QNAP 882 but after an update of the QNAP software the Roon database was empty although all music files are at their place on the disks. Trying a database restore showed all tracks, covers and so on, but one could observe the counters going down until they reached 0 again.

Trying a forced rescan Roon added music to the database but deleted all the tracks in parallel. The counters on the Homepage were going up and down. A short time after the scan was finished the counters got back to 0 again.

I tried reinstall Roon again after I deleted the Volumes completely and set them up again. Installation of Roon server worked fine but now I cannot even start a forced rescan anymore. It seems that the music directories are empty because the scan stops directly after it was started. Of course they are not empty!

Next try: I installed Roon core on a Windows 10 PC just to test what happens here. Importing the music files from the QNAP via network works.

So, I fear something is wrong between Roon and QNAP. Any idea?

Thanks in advance
Uwe

Most probably you experience this famous problem that Roon Labs is unable to solve for 6 months:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qnap-not-showing-local-folders-anymore-see-staff-post-guest-access-temporarily-resolves-ongoing-investigation/176927

Known bug as previous poster mentioned. Saving you having to read the entire thread. Go to your nas web page, control panel, share folder, locate your music share, edit shared folder permissions (middle icon under action), ensure ‘guest access right’ has read ony. Hit apply and select yes even though you hadnt change anything.

Go back to Roon and perform a force scan and see your library returns. You need to perform every time your Qnap reboot.

Ys, six months and counting for bug fix. Btw, i have the same model as yours.

Thanks for the hints, but it still doesn’t work. Guest access rights now allow read access (I also tried full access), but I observed the same behavior: forced scan starts and stops directly. It’s pretty much impossible to see the “Scanning” pop-up, it’s that quick to go away.

Even better workaround is to add files by IP (for example: \\127.0.0.1\your-share-name). Then it will survive next QNAP restart.

Roon still does not work. Current situation shows as follows: Roon server is up, says everything is ok, Roon client can contact the server. In “settings/storage” I can browse into all volumes and directories, can see every single track, but Roon does not start a scan. A forced scan starts but stops directly.
What can I do?

Can you show your Storage settings in Roon?

to show you that I can browse into the volume see the following test example:

It’s normal that you can browse but scan doesn’t work.

The easiest way out now would be to add folders using \\127.0.0.1\music1 path (with guest access to those folders set to Read Only or Full Access).

The other option is to keep current folders, change guest access priviliges to any other seeting than current and just after that initiate Rescan. In that case it doesn’t matter what are the guest priviliges set to - you just need to change them just before Rescan.

Scan works now using the \127.0.0.1 workaround. Puh!

The other option by changing access rights did not work. Never mind.

Thanks for the help, although it is a strange behaviour of Roon, isn’t it?

Yes, that’s an ugly bug…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.