After upgrading Roon Software build 1382, the sound quality dropped sharply

I don’t understand why some satire in the thread is draconically moderated but other posts that are clearly satire are allowed to remain.

12 Likes

Moderating is a thankless task, but these threads shouldn’t be allowed to run. Roon should simply make a statement one way or the other and close it. Done.

6 Likes

It gets old quickly for Roon, though, making a statement after nearly every update

Someone must have reported my post (about it is not ROON but the sound of the latest Norah Jones Album) as “Spam” in the first place. This is where the problem starts.

To answer your question, and to explain for the benefit of all.
The Roon Moderation Team are a group of unpaid volunteer members.
They do NOT trawl through every single thread looking for problems!
More often than not they are usually engaged in other activities like posting in music threads etc.
The usual cause of moderation in a thread is when posts are flagged by other community members, that then alerts the moderation team and if action is required it is taken determined to the best of our ability to be the correct course of action.
Believe it or not the Mods are human too and make mistakes just like everyone else.
Now if no flags are raised but there are some off topic posts, well unless we stumble across it then it is likely they will remain.
Hope that explains the situation here a little better.

4 Likes

I was just joking in a way that couldn’t reasonably be flagged, sorry if that came across wrong. The fact that someone keeps going through the thread and flags everything that isn’t their opinion is hilarious

11 Likes

Hi there

I concur. There has been a substantial drop in audio quality

2 Likes

So weird that the diminished sq issue comes up with every update. If you really believe this happens you should definitely stop using roon. Why torture yourself?

3 Likes

That’s not quiet true.
There hasn’t been post about diminished sq for the last few updates.

In fact, there’s some that actually says there’s a uptick in sound quality.

At any rate, both things can’t be true. I suspect that neither are…

3 Likes

What I’m more concerned about is whether your audio system feels the change. At the same time, it may also be a local phenomenon. I hope you can listen carefully to your system.

A system powered with 230v will always sound better than one powered with 110v, it’s a fact. :wink:

5 Likes

Oh, I’m almost tempted to create a new thread in another(!) forum “Does 110v/60hz sound better than 230v/50hz?” and then watch what happens. Wait … it probably already exists somewhere, doesn’t it ?

5 Likes

This conclusion was also arrived at by dCS employees on their forum where users where complaing about Mosiac sounding better than Roon. He said just as many users said Roon sounded better equal amounts said Mosiac sounded better and equal amounts said they heard no difference.

2 Likes

I believe that a music playback software constantly updates its code with the iteration of its functions, especially in terms of network connection methods, GC memory allocation, file stream reading methods, thread partitioning, etc., which may bring different sounds. I believe everyone can already feel these. But in most cases, the better scientific way is usually to bring better sound quality, such as reducing network latency and CPU latency.

How to ensure that the sound does not significantly decrease with every upgrade of Roon? Or is it the theory of adhering to the “0,1” data transmission and never changing the sound?

Although different systems and environments may undergo different changes. Anyway, this version has been compared by more than 10 friends on their respective systems. We can all get a relatively unified answer. The most unsatisfactory thing is that the low-frequency is no longer as full and lacks a lot of volume. Of course, I don’t have specialized instruments to test, which indicates all of this.

1 Like

I hope to provide a fallback function for recent versions to choose from. Currently, Roon does not have low frequencies, and I have turned off the playback device until the new version makes changes!

1 Like

How does a change in memory allocation or file streaming code change the sound? You people need to stop waffling and get precise. How, exactly, does it do that?

3 Likes

Belief and truth are very different things.

2 Likes

On the other hand, if all players are just streaming, then the sound should be the same. Is this the true situation?

Your current situation is very bad. Fortunately, I backed up the Roon software once in January and am currently using the new version of APP Remote to control the old version of RoonServer.