After upgrading Roon Software build 1382, the sound quality dropped sharply

After the upgrade to Roon build 1382, the sound quality has changed dramatically, with high frequencies compressed and low frequencies reduced a lot.

4 Likes

The worst SQ version so far…I started listening a few hours ago and thought the Cleaning Lady did something with the cables or else, This is hard after tailoring the whole system , Server Bios in order to squeeze the best possible, …then PUM bass is boomy and compressed and highs are a NM, Convenience of Navigation VS SQ

Guys PLEASE, every " UPGRADED VERSION " should be that : SQ should be upgraded , NOT dropped

6 Likes
9 Likes

I think people have a right to express how they feel without being ridiculed.

You may not have the same experience as they do, but I would suggest to keep it civilised.

6 Likes

Ridicule is part and parcel of posting on the internet; for good or bad, that’s the reality of it.

11 Likes

I hope this one will not end up in “I can hear something you cannot hear and what cannot be measured, anyway”. So, initial posters also have responsibility to share sufficient information in case they feel something is really going wrong. Which they haven’t done so far. E.g. no signal pass, no info on DSP etc.

4 Likes

I found things to be the same.

Not sure Roon touch the side of SQ with updates based on the release notes. More bug fixes, UI changes etc.

YMMV

2 Likes

I hope all this is just a misunderstanding. Fortunately, there was a backup of roon software before. At present, it still sounds relatively perfect, and I hope that everyone’s voice is intact.
IMG_5284

1 Like

Maybe on places like reddit .

You would hope people who have means to buy software like Roon could and should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

6 Likes

I think it’s logical to understand that updates will affect different systems in various ways.

Just like there are plenty of people that can’t use their Roon because they can’t log in to Tidal or Qobuz after the recent update, while another group of people have issues that effect their ARC from running .
Maybe this recent update effects some people’s esoteric systems and effect their hardware’s ability to function their unique features.

One of the poster hasn’t even been here over a year , so you can’t say they just like to complain.

Clearly it’s something that truly bothered them for them to come online.

Hopefully whatever is effecting the other issues are maybe what’s causing their issues.
And the next update can return things to normality.

Roon is (by design) known for delivering digital 1:1 signals. Only by changing the output signal (resampling or DSP) you would be able to alter audio. That’s why comparing signal path from before and after update would shed some light on this.

7 Likes

Unless you provide any further details, there is nothing that can be done.

I hear no SQ differences at all from previous versions, and I’m extremely fussy and have a some pretty serious hi fi kit.

In order for anyone to understand or fix what might be wrong for you they will need to understand what you are using ands how you are running Roon, as its clear from the majority user experience that any issues are certainly not universal.

I hope you provide these details and that someone is able to help you to fix your issues.

7 Likes

The confusion of causality and coincidence triggered my response. Here is an accepted method to determine causality as opposed to coincidence:
according to John Stuart Mill’s classical formulation (Shadish, Cook, & Campbell, 2002), establishing a causal relationship requires three criteria: (a) temporal precedence (i.e., the cause precedes the effect), (b) covariance (i.e., the cause and effect are related), and (c) disqualification of alternative …

we probably can agree on criteria a, b is already problematic and c certainly not met. Same story with the change of my hair color immediately after the release of the new Roon version…

4 Likes

my stereo is very high resolution, I hear the slightest change in, for example, buffer settings for roon bridge or master clock. but after installing the latest version and listening to my reference songs, I can’t hear any difference. but everyone’s system is different so I have no doubt that someone else has had a changed sound signature after this upgrade. I am grateful that I am not affected this time. have heard differences in previous versions

3 Likes

Clean up complete guys.
Some humour is a good thing but lets try and keep on track if possible.
Thank you for your cooperation.

9 Likes

I think also. Have the same impression. And what about the new surface of remote over tablet, it look not so good like before

… Waiting for next upgrade orrrrrrrrrrrr

As others have said it’d be great to understand, at minimum, the signal path of your system.

For example I hear absolutely no difference:
Capture

After the version upgrade, there may be some tightness in the low frequency. Can you fix it as soon as possible? Has the new version been tested by the Golden Ear team? Can version rollback function be provided?

1 Like

If it were a common problem, the forum would be full of same posts, don’t you think?

That said, there’s no change here at all.

Whom are you referring to?

That’s never been officially made possible.
You would have to download each version and keep them in order to be able to roll back locally.
Remember though, that functionality might break at a certain point in time due to constant changes in Roon’s backend.

Your only other official option would be to install Roon’s 1.8 legacy version, although it lacks some of the new functionality and might be obsoleted at some point in the future, also.