Age Poll - How old are you, really?

-American (Pennsylvania) by birth.
-Left “home” to go to a few hours east, then came back with my engineering degree, bought a house a couple of towns “dahn river” (closer toward the big city), married my high school girlfriend, living “happily ever after” with two kids (boy and girl).
-To the best of my knowledge, predominantly German and English, with a bit of Welsh and Scots-Irish, by ancestry…
-Age 37. Pulled the trigger on a Roon Lifetime subscription at the age of 35. Had an interest in, if not passion for, at least what I’d call “Budget Hi-Fi” since I was maybe 12 or 13?. Couldn’t (or at least didn’t) afford kit like Roon or other pricey “HiFi” gear until rather recently… but always knew I was into this sort of thing, and wanted to one day…

Roon isn’t perfect. But it’s by-far-and-away the best solution I’ve found or am aware of, at least for my needs and use-cases…

3 Likes

64 years old.
Australian by birth from Australian and New Zealand parentage.
Living in Sydney, Australia
Non-denominational Caucasian.
Lifelong motorcyclist and hifi fan.

• 48 years old
  • Born in Manchester, England
  • Living in London
  • White, British male.

36 years old
Born, raised and still live in Pennsylvania
Caucasian
Mostly Polish & Irish decent
Music lover since I can remember!

1 Like

67 years old
Born and lived in Canada (Powell River, Vancouver and Ottawa) until 2011
Currently living in Coatepec, Veracruz, Mexico
White Male with roots in Britain
Roonie since almost the beginning, lifetime membership
Music has been a hobby since I first heard the Beatles on my neighbours transistor radio at age 10

Are you sure @Jim_F?

Sometimes I wonder :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Posted 3 years ago.
So now, I’m 69 years old.
Still stay in Tokyo, Japan.

For ROON, 5 years old with Lifetime subscription.

1 Like

Interesting…

Average age as per statistics. Looking directly to 52 year-old in a few months.

Catalan born, living in Catalonia

(Spain maybe is easier to locate me into a map)

If I am not wrong my ethnic type is called “celtiberic”

Not Latin, not sure if Caucasian would meet me.

Interesting to see we are mainly old grumpy people here… not a mystery we have all the ranting here in the community when something changes in Roon :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Interesting poll…
So, if we assume Roon is used by Audiophiles, could we conclude that the “high-end” customer 20 years from now may be extinct?
:thinking:

2 Likes

I’m a funky old cracker, originally from Texas. Been living in NYC for 30 years.

I suspect that is where we are heading… Unless the young people today suddenly switches from everything on iPhone when they get older? I’m not sure this will happen.

They freaking watch movies on the phone as well :astonished:

1 Like

No. It means that people don’t have the kind of money needed to be classified as an audiophile till they’re in their 40s.

An easy way to increase the pool… welcome women and minorities! This forum is not so bad, but other forums I’ve seen are certainly populated by pretentious, know-it-all and offensive white guys who are not welcoming at all.

I think there’s lots of room for growth …

(Anyway, I don’t mean to hijack this thread or start any political discussion. If I do, hopefully the admin will take down my post.):grinning:

6 Likes

That has a lot to do with the distribution of wealth.

1 Like

Definitely true. Although the pretentious-, offensive-, know-it-all-ness isn’t a causal relationship with wealth. Somewhat correlated maybe.

I just want there to be more diversity in the club and the white guys to not be P, O or KIA.

Being a person of color myself usually in a sea of WG… :grinning:

Some of my best friends are nice white guys. Actually it just so happens, all my best friends are white. Dunno what that says about me.
“I wouldn’t join a club that would have me as a member?”

1 Like

I’m an old white guy who agrees with you. We need more diversity in a lot of places.

6 Likes

I’m an old white guy who lives in a Brazilian city that is predominantly black. That means most of my friends are black, that I’m a respectful member of the minority, and that I speak Portuguese in addition to English. I’d also like to see more diversity in these forums, including more women. As for “the pretentious-, offensive-, know-it-all-ness” being related to wealth, it’s certainly true in Brazil, a country where a significant percentage of the population gets by on what would be considered a paltry amount in most of North America and Europe (where many of the members of this community live). Decent audio gear is out of the reach of most people here (and, sadly, also many of life’s basic necessities), which is why I suspect I am one of the few Roon users living in Brazil. I get to North America often enough to buy headphones, and headphone DACs, amps etc. at a much lower price than they’re sold for in Brazil. Otherwise I’d be broke.

3 Likes

I will be 71 in mid-September and it bums me out that I’ll go from 23% of Roonies my age to just 4%…Why the hell the drop off???..I just bought my first new Mt Bike in 25 years…this one has batteries and I play Pickleball with folks older than me…Our club Founder is in his mid 80’s! Gotta keep the old man out for as long as possible! Roon makes it possible for me to enjoy way more hours of music that I did before I had so many easy ways to listen!

That poll is 3 years old. Maybe everyone should update their age. Just click on “Show vote” and choose your current age.

2 Likes