Age Poll - How old are you, really?

As of today, 88% over 40. 63% over 50.

2 Likes

Just had a quick scan over the MQA threads, and despite the mean age here there are plenty behaving like pedantic ten year olds!

2 Likes

English by birth
Live in Somerset, England
Caucasian.
Age 41 and 350 odd days!

Currently sat listening to Talk Talk (for the first time, I somehow missed them first time around) trying to work out how to finance some new speakers, which is a fairly normal occurance.

Hmmm, looks stereotypical. …
Australian
Melbourne, Victoria
Caucasian
58yo

we are so far away from the poll at the top is anyone actually still inputting their contributions? 601 votes to date

1 Like

…Wow… guess I can’t say im suprised lol…

United States of America
Atlanta, Georgia
African American
27yo

1 Like

47 in August with twin 6 year old boy/ girl to look after
North east England by trade but long since London…
Just today quit my job at a global Telco to take a short sabbatical and hopefully find the right role to reinvigorate my career…
Now, where’s that beverage…?

1 Like

dutch by birth.
live in Haarlem, Netherlands.
51 years old
caucasian (hate that word for some reason)
meeting all stereotypes :thinking:

1 Like

I have exactly the same experience all the time.

I’m a 48-year-old female from Belgium.
Caucasian and living in Belgium.

I wish people stopped using the term WAF in reviews, marketing, etc. It’s not very flattering.

6 Likes

We could live without references to SWMBO also…

1 Like

Switching to PAF, partner or people appreciation factor, with immediate effect.

4 Likes

Or simply call it what it generally is, aesthetic appeal…

2 Likes

I’m in my 30s so I can’t speak for ”the kids below 30” but I think you nailed most of the reasons. I have a lot of friends and colleagues in that age group and even though most have good salaries Roon is just not affordable enough for what it gives them. In a cost-benefit calculation.

Also very little downloaded material with these people (and I’m quite the same). All of them have Spotify and depending on subculture also SoundCloud or similar. Almost none thinks Tidal is worth the increase in SQ considering the higher cost and lesser tech.

Bluesound is considered hifi and expensive, even though they could probably buy a couple of Bluedound devices a month without breaking a sweat. Devialet is insane. ”I would never put close to half of my monthly salary on speakers!”. Yes, that would be CRAZY. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you go nerdy you go Vinyl not downloaded files. I have never talked to anyone around 30 or younger into hi-res downloads. And I talk music a lot, but almost no one I have talked to get the concept of downloading music. Only if it’s the only way of finding that track/album/mixtape.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. Goes a long way in laying out the problems face Roon going forward, once us old guys fade away.

Indian by birth
Live in Mumbai, India
Indian/South Asian
Forty three years old

(I have been a Hi-Fi enthusiast for about 12 years now; I listen to a wide range of genres but prefer Classic Rock, Jazz and the Blues; I have whatever’s the opposite of “golden ears”; I think I’ve finally found my brands of choice in Dynaudio and Accuphase; I could use a Guinness right about now)

1 Like

I thought the term died out in the nineties, and deservedly so. But for retroactive effect, though it’s a bit of a stretch, could we change it to “wide-ranging aesthetic favour”? :thinking:

I am really sure those of us in our fifties or sixties would not refer to ourselves as ”Elderly” to be honest, senior maybe.

2 Likes

I’m still running around a cricket field on weekends. I ain’t old until I retire!

1 Like

Hey! I represent that remark! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t think about that part when I quoted. But in my mind 50-60 is probably the new “middle age”. I have decided to become something like 114 years :ok_hand:t3: :wink:

Some express almost a concern about Roon not reaching more younger people. I would turn that around and saying that it’s nice that the early adopters of this kind of technology isn’t in the same segments as adopters of say Snapchat or TikTok. Makes for a more sustainable business model and a way different value proposition.