AirPlay 2 Support in Roon for Paired HomePods [available since Roon 2.0 (build 1432)]

I’m increasingly hopeful that we’ll get native AirPlay 2 sender support when Roon runs on a Mac. The reason being that the latest Roon release (2.0.5) treats Roon running on Windows specially, so this sets a precedence for treating Macs specially, too, as requested in this thread.

(for reference, from the Roon 2.0.5 release notes: “Roon running on the Windows platform now fully supports the native media transport controls …”)

Done:

(I had some time and edited the title)

Just updated. Paired HomePods (gen1) but they sound dreadful. Playing independently they sound great but as a pair, not so good. Paired when playing music or movies via Apple TV, they sound fine.

Reset HomePods, paired and unpaired and tried again to play Roon via Airplay to paired speakers and it’s still sounds quite bad by comparison. Maybe a bit more work to do for it to work as intended.

You may want to open a topic in Support. Nobody reported this in testing and there was quite some user activity

I believe it may be that I’ve been streaming to airplay via iOS devices which haven’t updated.

Are the latest updates for PC and Mac only or are new iOS versions also due to update soon? Thoughts appreciated.

I suppose that’s possible. There should be updates, but your iOS may not have done the scheduled update yet. You can trigger it in the App Store.

1 Like

As of now, in the UK, there is no update for Roon/Roon Arc in the iOS App Store. Once these appear I would expect everything will be working correctly.

Same here in Germany, but it’s an unusually long delay

Both updates now installed. The option to pick my paired HomePods isn’t available. I have reinstalled the Roon OS on my Nucleus then rebooted. No luck with that.

1 Like

I have a stereo pair of HomePod minis. Used to leave them unpaired in the home app, then address them as a group of individual sources with MUSE doing channel selection. Now I’ve got them grouped as a single thing in Home and Roon plays to them just fine. Fantastic update!

1 Like

[ update ( thanks robtodd): I have V2 HomePods.

I found this footnote on Apple’s description of the HomePod mini:

“1. Creating a HomePod stereo pair requires two of the same model HomePod speakers, such as two HomePod mini, two HomePod (2nd generation), or two HomePod (1st generation). “
End update ]

When you get the upgrade, it’s very nice. Note: I use these as TV speakers, and they cannot do both. So, you need to disconnect them from your TV, e.g., use your built-in TV speakers. The nice part is the stereo pair shows up as an audio device and you simply connect to it.

1 Like

Are you using the original or the latest HomePods? Mine are not showing up in the audio settings. I have the originals paired using them as TV speakers. Switching them over to use as standalone speakers makes no difference whatsoever.

V2. The new ones. I’ll update my post to clarify.

1 Like

Hi Lawrence, mine sounded atrocious at first.

I turned off the previous setting to split the left/right channels in settings which I read about on this forum. I have re-added the homepods and they are now giving left and right sound without any tweaks and they sound pretty good now.

1 Like

Thank you. That worked for me for a pair downstairs but not upstairs. I’ll reset again and hopefully it will work as it should. Really pleased with the sound of pair that are currently working. Thanks for tips.

Hopefully it is just a matter of a reboot to resolve.

I have a pair of HomePod minis connected to an Apple TV. After the update I just had to enable the Apple TV as the audio device in Roon and it all works perfectly.

It was working fine as a grouped zone, but that had the slightly annoying dual volume control thing rather than the single slider which it has now. Good update for that alone, I’m happy.

1 Like