Akasa Turing Fanless Case Review: Unrivalled Noiseless NUC

1 Like

I have one of these, but I took the NUC already assembled.
I use it in an upright position.
I have no complaints so far.

1 Like

I have just put my NUC in one of these. My i5 NUC was pretty quiet until I installed an internal ssd for library storage. It then fired up the fan quite regularly. The Turing is much more attractive in the flesh. I use it horizontally with the small end “facing front”. IMO looks rather classy.

Make sure you update the BIOS if having fan speed issues. There was an update recently for 8th Gen NUC that fixed a fan speed issue some people were having.

Gotta be careful with these fanless cases though. The lack of airflow means the internal temperature is higher than the active cooled option. That can affect other components that may have benefited from active cooling of the CPU.

It’s like a game whack-a-mole - you fix one thing but something else pops up.

See this guys tests:

https://nucblog.net/2020/07/akasa-turing-fx-review-frost-canyon-fanless-case/

One other strategy for keeping the stock unit with fan is to disable Turbo Boost… a few people have commented this can drastically reduce CPU temp and fan speed stays very low (and quietest).Or if you really hate the sound of the fan, put it in a fanless case but maybe turn off Turbo Boost… Might reduce the internal temp quite a bit. So maybe pick a NUC with higher base speed.

1 Like