Akasa Turing ROCK Build Finally Complete

Spec:

Akasa Turing Case
NUC8I7BEH3 I7-8559U
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM
Samsung MZ-76E2T0B/EU 2 TB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive
Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 EVO Plus 500 GB Solid State Drive
EK Water Blocks EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink - Purple
Akuoly Aluminum Heatsink 4 Pack Cooler Cooling Fin with Thermal Adhesive Tape for Fire TV Stick SSD CPU, 70x22x6mm, Black
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 12.5 W / m · K 1 g thermal grease (-200 to 350 ° C)
Teddy19/3 - 19V 3.5A Power Supply Connector Diameter 5.5mm / 2.5 mm

3 Likes

Hi KAB, that looks pretty much like the device I was planning to build, but was concerned about fitting two internal SSD’s in the Turing case (one for Rock and one for Music) as the sites I’ve seen have not provided it as an option? I presume you can judging by your post?

There is tonnes of room for a 2.5" disk.

The 2.5" disk is mounted on two metal runners that attach to the bottom of the case. Loads of clearance so no need to worry about the size of the disk. I’ve stuck a bunch of heat spreaders on mine and there is still loads of room (probably no need but I had them to hand).

The M.2 size is complete overkill but at the time I bought the components the price worked out well. Will bump the 2.5" SSD up to 4TB when prices come down.

Hardest thing about the build was getting the motherboard out of the original NUC case. It’s a really tight fit. Remove the retaining screws then you need to pull off all the mesh covered foam pieces that are protecting the ports. Then gently pull the case so that the ports can clear it and coax the motherboard out. You’ll end up bending the case slightly, will go back into shape if you really need it to after you remove the motherboard.

Many thanks for your detailed reply Kab, much appreciated!