Album being played is not shown playing after adding to library

So, let me explain that cryptic title. If i’m playing an album that is not added to my library I can see which track is being played int he list of album tracks. if I then add that album to my library, the track still plays and is shown in the bottom banner, but it no longer show this in the album view. I have to go back ‘Home’ to click on the album. Surely this is a bug.

No, this is how Roon works:

Note: The Album in your Library is not (treated) the same as the one from the audio streaming service that is currently still playing.

Thanks for the clarification. It’s still not clear to me though…when I add an album to my library the view changes to the view of that album in my library and as such I can ‘like’ tracks see how many times they’ve been played etc. Why I wouldn’t also be able to see the track that is now being played is odd. Roon should work like this. It certainly adding playing counts to the right of each track, so why can’t it display the track being played?

Because the track playing is still the track from the Album outside of your Library and not the one from the Album in your Library.

What is the utility of this? In what instance would I want to be listening to a track off an album I just added to my library but not be listening to the one one that I just added to my library?

If you don’t want that, then don’t play the Album before adding it to your Library. I already linked the relevant piece of documentation that contains what Roon Labs wants us to know about the matter. It’s up to us users now, to wrap our heads around that logic and get used to it. If you can’t live with it though, think about adding your vote to a related Feature Suggestions. For example:

Thanks again for your input. The notion of not playing an album before adding it to my library is not something I can personally get down with. This honestly feels like a logical fallacy on behalf of Roon so I will add to the feature request as you suggest.

The fundamental problem here is that all the things Roon can do can be done with a user’s Roon library but not with the full set of the 100 million tracks on the streaming service. Part of it is simply performance and part of it is the fundamental software architecture of Roon (which was built before streaming services were added).

This leads to differences in features and behavior between library and non-library. This will have to be overcome and Roon know it (see the linked thread) but it is not easy and probably requires huge changes and moving most of Roon into the cloud because local PCs just don’t have the performance

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.