So everyone what’s your choice/s of best albums for this monumental year?
I’ll start with my shortlist have not been able to narrow it down to one yet.
Recorded early lockdown in a log cabin out in the wilds of Massachusetts very basic guitar and her unique voice with a bit of weather. Adrianne is always a great listen solo or with Big Thief. This is an exceptional personal record for her as it let her heal a broken heart. Zombie Girls is my favourite at the moment from it.
Great album from Apple, never really listened to her much but this is absolutely brilliant.
This also I have played and liked very much since it came out.
And of course Laura Marlings latest stunning as ever.
Other contenders are :
I seem to have gone for female vocalists this year a good year for them.
2020 has been a great year for music releases. I put together a list of a dozen albums (not in any order - that would be too hard) that I have enjoyed probably more than most others this year - but that list could be different tomorrow
Sadler Vaden - Anybody Out There?
Fish - Weltsmerz
King Witch - Body of Light
Laura Marling - Song for our Daughter
Abel Ganz - The Life of the Honey Bee
Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night
Big Big Train - Empire
The Midnight - Monsters
Pain of Salvation - Panther
Conception - State of Deception
Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods
The Avett Brothers - The Third Gleam
This is a preliminary list. All these albums impacted me in one way or another.
It can change in the coming weeks.
01 - Haken - Virus
02 - Afsky - Ofte Jeg Drørmer Mig Død
03 - Auõn - Vöudraumsins Fangi
04 - Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations 2020
05 - Luna’s Call - Void
06 - Mors Principium Est - Seven
07 - Power Trip - Live in Seattle
08 - Second To Sun - Leviathan
09 - Havok - V
10 - Septic Flesh - Infernus Sinfonica MMXIX
11 - Kansas - The Absence of Presence
12 - Redemption - Alive in Color
13 - The Ocean - Phanerozoic II Mesozoic | Cenozoic
14 - King Witch - Body of Light
15 - Derek Sherinian - The Phoenix
16 - Furious Trauma - Decade at War
17 - Omniarch - Omniarch
18 - Igorrr - Spirituality and Distortion
19 - Anaal Nathrakh - Endarkenment
20 - Arch Echo - Story I
21 - GoGo Penguin - Live From Studio 2
22 - Ruin - Foretoken
23 - Cloudkicker - Solitude
24 - LIK - Misanthropic Breed
25 - Inferi - Of Sunless Realms
• Smoke Fairies - Darkness Brings The Wonders Home - Indie folk that could be used as part of the Twin Peaks soundtrack
• The Mountain Goats - Getting Into Knives - I first noticed Goats in 2005 with the track Love Love Love but didn’t like the album it came from. Thought I would give them another go in 2020 and this album reminds me of Barenaked Ladies which is no bad thing.
• Tunng - Tunng Presents…Dead Club - an adjunct to their podcast about death https://www.tunng.co.uk/dead_club/podcast/
• Gwenifer Raymond - Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain - amazing and, looking at her YouTube videos, seemingly effortless finger picking guitar playing https://youtu.be/1zyE5pkTfo8
• Gerry Cinnamon - The Bonny - man with guitar and Scottish social commentary
• Caribou - Suddenly - a sample based dream pop album that would fit well in a festival live set
• Baxter Dury - The Night Chancers - not sure I really like this album and it’s the one that has been in and out of the list the most.
• Fleet Foxes - Shore - same format as other Fleet Foxes albums but trying less hard so more successful.
• Low Cut Connie - Private Lives - a double album of piano bashing rock 'n roll
• Tame Impala - The Slow Rush - Indie, Pop, Disco not really sure where this fits