Album tagging / organization issues

We’re working on features that will allow for way more flexibility with regards to your tags, but there’s a lot of complexity here, so I’d definitely ask you to keep an open mind.

Bulk reverting back to tags is a very fine line for us, as “Miles Davis” in the tags is a simple piece of text, whereas in Roon, he’s connected to hundreds of different pieces of data a user can explore, and these connections are a big part of what powers the experience. Brian discussed this in some detail here, so it’s definitely worth a read.

I’m also a little bummed out you’ve had to fix track groupings so often, especially since we have a redesign for that screen in the works that we weren’t able to finish in time for release.

Files in a directory with contiguous numbering and sensible disc numbers should never be split up, but we’ve heard one or two reports this happening with iTunes imports. Any chance you’re importing your music that way?

@jeremiah’s post here is also worth a read, as it goes into detail about how to ensure your collection gets the best metadata possible.

I’d like to make sure we don’t leave you in this state, and there are some diagnostics we can do on your Roon database to see why so much work was needed on the grouping. If you’re interested in digging a bit further, shoot me a PM here on the forums, and I’m sure we can extend your trial and get a better sense of what’s gone awry.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback @chr!