All Roon playlists are now empty

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

The team had a meeting about this today and I wanted to give you an update.

We’re escalating this behavior to our development team, but first we need a little more info. If possible, can you restore that backup you mentioned above once more. Once you’ve done this I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan,

I have done as requested and will send you a PM with the download link for the logs.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks, @Tim_Rhodes.

I’ve passed the logs over to the team and will be sure to update you as soon as I have received their feedback.

-Dylan

@dylan

Is there any update on this issue by any chance?

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

Thank you for your patience here while the team has been investigating this. We had a meeting with the development team to discuss your report, and unfortunately we were not able to identify the cause for the missing playlists.

This type of behavior is extremely rare for us, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly. The only way tracks should be able to be removed from a playlist is if they’re manually deleted or if the track ID is changed. This can sometimes happen if a library migration is done improperly and there are duplicate entries created in the database.

Those cases can typically be easily resolved. In this case, this doesn’t seem to be the issue since these tracks do not show up in Clean Up Library and the Added date in Roon is from over a year ago.

Unfortunately, without backups from before this occurred, there is no way to recover the playlists. I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you here Tim.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and we’re going to investigate a bit further on our end, but we have very little to go on, and no other reports similar to what you’re describing here. If you have any additional ideas about what might have changed in your setup, or how these playlists may have been modified, please let us know. And of course you have our sincere apologies for the trouble here.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hi @dylan, @support

Well thanks for looking into this for me at least, I appreciate you efforts and your candor. I suppose this is a salutary lesson in keeping backups for longer!

I can tell you exactly what happened and what I did to precipitate this issue, hopefully it might help you track down any issues in the Roon codebase.

• My music files and Roon backups reside on my Synology NAS. My Roon Core resides on a Windows 10 i7 desktop PC connected via 1Gbps LAN to the NAS
  • I wanted to change the account that Roon uses to access the /Backup share so it was not the admin/root account of the NAS
  • I created a new roon_bkp account on my NAS
  • I modified the Roon storage folder setting to use this new account to access the /Backup share. This was performed successfully in the Roon UI
  • A few days later the first backup with the new account was attempted and failed with an access denied error to the /Backup share
  • On investigation I thought that perhaps I had mis-typed the new account details for the /Backup share in Roon and so I re-entered them
  • I ran the backup manually but it still failed to access /Backup
  • I removed the old /Backup folder on my NAS (and from Roon) and created a new one which I mounted in Roon with the new NAS account
  • The connection to /Backup2 was successful but now Roon was telling me that it could not access /Music (the account for /Music had not changed from admin)
  • I re-entered the /Music admin account details in Roon but the connection still failed, I retried this a few times
  • I created another new account on my NAS with permission to the /Music share specifically
  • I added this for the /Music share in Roon, still Roon told me it could not connect to /Music
  • I went back to the NAS admin account again for /Music, Roon failed to connect again
  • I finally realised that the issue was because the same client (my Roon server) was trying to connect to two shares on my NAS, /Backup2 and /Music, with different credentials and the NAS was not happy about that!
  • I created yet another new account on my NAS which I permissioned for both /Backup2 and /Music and modified the folder entries in Roon
  • Finally Roon was able to connect to both /Backup2 and /Music and everything was working again. Note that /Music was never removed from Roon, just had its credentials changed multiple times.
  • I deleted the unnecessary accounts from the NAS, and removed the old /Backup folder and contents (foolishly as it turns out!)
  • Roon re-scanned my NAS library in /Music completely and successfully. All my albums were in place and as expected
  • Several days later I noted that my shared playlists that contained only NAS files were now all empty and raised the issue with you guys

Hope this helpful somehow!

Tim

Hey @Tim_Rhodes

I just want to clarify the above a bit. /Backup & /Backup2 were only connected to in the Backups section of Roon, correct? Not the Settings > Storage section of Roon?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan

Yes they were only referenced for Backups, they never appeared here;