Allo Boss DAC review

I had possibility this week to review the new updated Boss.

The updated Boss is excellent!

All concerns I had are now fixed/ gone.

1. Perfect presence of high frequencies with precision, transparency, and lightness. That give this amazing feeling of music defying gravity and flying - one step closer to hifi ecstasy!

2. Positive impact also on vocal reproduction, previous sensation of mid tones being washed with low frequencies is reduced. Voice has much better sonority and is easy flowing through air.

Also I compared the Boss to combination of Kali clocker and Piano DAC. I didn’t believe what I heard… the Boss was so much better!!!
Boss sounded much more colorful, dynamic, with rich bass, broad sound volume, and wide stereo base. Kali+Piano in comparison was still giving accurate sound, but more flat and short.

Based on previous testing the Kali+Piano was the best available DAC in market for Raspberry Pi - outperforming the HiFiBerry and IQaudIO products, as well Audiophonics I-Sabre V3 DAC running of ES9023.

The only currently better chipset implemented for Raspberry Pi DACs is Sabre 9018K2M, but the released Audiophonics DAC still engineering work in progress; however, new updated version with driver support is expected to come soon. Also I’m very curios to see when Allo will release their DAC on AKM AK 4497 chip - that will be first high end DAC on Raspberry Pi.

Boss is by far the best Texas Instruments PCM5122 chip based DAC in the market, based on unique technological developments that Allo has put in it: triple power cleaning lines, super capacitor, two high quality 44.1 or 48 kHz master clocks driving Raspberry Pi I2S signal process, with extremely low noise & jitter levels achieved.

Janis

1 Like