Allo DigiOne board

Whatā€™s the current lead time on delivery to the UK? I ask only as I wonā€™t want to order one and then find that it arrives when I have gone away on holiday. tx

The case is by audiophonics and I liked it from the point I saw it. After I had some issues with the hifiberry digi+ in combination with my preamp and saw the DigiOne board, I decided to build one of the DigiOne in one of those Audiophonics cases. I also liked the idea of the integrated power management board, so the pi can be started on turned off properly, without pulling the plug.
I had one touchscreen based pi before, but I knew that it is not a permanent install, when I use that pi for audio stuff as it was my only touchscreen.

So this one will stay as an audioplayer and I can keep doing other stuff on the touchscreen pi.

No need to worry: Volumio is currently installed there, as it has imho the best GUI of all audioplayers. But the pi will definitely be a Roon Bridge device in the end. I also tried Ropieee Beta, but had issues when the filesystem was expanded on a large sd-card. I wanted to look into this, but did not find the time yetā€¦

Hi

Iā€™m looking to get a set-up for my son to use in his room to access Roon. I get a bit confused with the boards and options, so would be grateful if anyone could advise what would be the best bundle to get so that he can plug into his hi-fi to get Roon (would be best with RCA connections as his hi hi-fi doesnā€™t have digital connections).

Are there any bundles that come with a board that can also plug a headphone directly into (not a show stopper, but would be handy).

Donā€™t need to get the cheapest as if thereā€™s a dearer bundle that gives me more choices if I want to use the set-up round the house would be happy to pay more, (or should l I get a coupe of set-upā€™s - one for him and one for the games room or outside Pergola area).

Sorry if the above is to simplistic a request, advice really appreciated.

Thanks
John

We are working with PcP team and they already working on integrating the DigiOne . Last email from them ā€¦ā€œit will be incorporated into next releaseā€

Thx you Jose for the kind words :grinning:

In stock . Shipping from France (if you are in EU). Just a note, we got reports that regular shipping takes a bit longer (almost a week to UK). I think its because of France Post employees being vacation (and maybe UK post)

DHl/UPS is same (1-2 days)

1 Like

Just a quick explanation on what DigiOne really is :slight_smile:

Master codec . (basically it means that RPI is not using its jittery clocksā€¦the WM8805 (dirty side) has a clock (on clean side separated by a galvanic digital isolator) and RPI only sends the DATA to it on each clock (bclk/lrclk)

Once data is received the WM8805 makes the spidif stream . (still dirty side)

Spidif stream passes the isolator barrier (picking up jitter but removing any HF noise)

Now on the clean sideā€¦ you have the clocks and 2 set of flip flops(pay attention to fact there are 2 sets). Since the spidif stream is made using the same clocksā€¦there are no buffer over/under runs (one time domain)

On first flipflopsā€¦we realign the data on clean MCLK ā€¦therefore the MCLK jitter = spidif jitter (+ extremely low extra jitter from flip flop in the 0.0xps) = 0.4ps

On second FFā€¦we take care of a phenomenon called metastability https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastability_in_electronics (no one is doing that)

So you seeā€¦what DigiOne really isā€¦is a master codec with digital/electrical/ground isolation from RPI AND wm8805 and a reclocker (with metastability taken into account)

Simple.

5 Likes

Hello Steve,

Iā€™m just using a simple SMPS, bought long time ago for the Rpi. I will try a good LPS, but not sure it will enhance SQ.
It seems that a big work has been done to clean PS rails on the DigiOne (separated rails for the critical parts, large use of LDOs)

2 Likes

Ok this is ridiculously cool. I need to get one :wink:

Question Johan (I asked similar about USBridge yesterday).

How is the Digi One powered? Can you power the board directly? Or powered via the Pi?

With one of your competitorā€™s products, some of us (not all) found that soldering a header to the HAT and powering the board directly made an improvement.

Just wondering if this option is available with DigiOne also, (like the USBridge)

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Hi Sean

no its not possible, unless you get crazy with soldering iron.

DigiOne is powered by an isolated DC/DC convertor. We know the exact sw frequencyā€¦so it was rather easy to tame it using murata filters and x7r capacitorsā€¦of course each rail is LDO filtered etc.

I donā€™t know if you will get a SQ improvement using a different PSUā€¦(test shows that no )

I bet thoughā€¦that if you do it you will hear something different . Part is because of the hard work and part,is that there is a gap between testing and perceived sound .

So while we donā€™t recommend it (you will lose your warranty) I wont dismiss it.

1 Like

Ok cool, I shall avoid it lol. The power supply of this board is more ā€˜involvedā€™ than competing boards, so I expect (not certain, just a guess) the difference would be less, compared with modifying those other boards

HI,

Yesterday Iā€™ve received a set of Sparky and DigiOne. Is there any Sparky OS that supports and has proper drivers for DigiOne?? Iā€™ve tried Volumio and DietPi and it fails.Yesterday Iā€™ve received a set of Sparky and DigiOne. Is there any Sparky OS that supports and has proper drivers for DigiOne?? Iā€™ve tried Volumio and DietPi and they donā€™t see my DigiOne board.

Fortunately I have RPI3 so I could confirm that my DigiOne works fine.

Sparky does not support the DigiOne. As Johan from Allo put it:

edit mistake

Hi @allo.com @ALLO_audio_boards

I have problems to get the combination of Isolator and DigiOne to work.

I use a Raspberry Pi 3. Pi + Digione is working fine. When adding the Isolator in between the DigiOne is powered (led light is on) but is not recognized!

Pi is powered by an IFI iPower 5V psu,
Isolator is powered by an IFI iPower 9V and is in slave mode. First i power the Isolator then the Pi.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Peter,

the DigiOne is not meant to be used with isolator.

First , the DigiOne output is already isolated from Wm8805 and RPI. (so it has an isolator IC same as in isolator hat)
Second by having an isolator you are introducing delays of about 10ns on the i2s (each way). While on our board this delay was factored inā€¦using an external isolator was not.
Thirdā€¦your isolator should be in Master mode (since your DigiOne is a master)

1 Like

Thanks for your help, still doesnā€˜t work when Isolator is in Master Mode!

I want to Isolate the Power rail from the piā€¦

Power rail of our Digione is already isolated (using DC/DC isolated convertor) along with i2s signals with the same IC used in Isolator HAT. Double isolation is not required

I suspect the delays introduced by isolator interfere with the correct timing of the wm8805.

Digione was designed to be an isolator and recloacker on same PCB.

Ok then I will test with a Digi+ Pro and report backā€¦

What is your take on the DigiOne?

Itā€˜s really good, better than the Digi+ Pro