Allo DigiOne Player HDMI Question

I have a Pi 3 B+ with touchscreen running RoPieee and am very happy with it. Looking for a second endpoint and am considering the Allo DigiOne Player. I checked and RoPieee supports the DigiOne and I’ve seen some positive posts on the forum about it. I know the DigiOne Player comes with DietPi but I like RoPieee and would prefer to use it.

The DigiOne Player come assembled and includes a case that appears to preclude the use of the Pi touchscreen but it does expose the HDMI connector. This endpoint will likely end up close to an AV Receiver with an available HDMI input so I would want to hook it up if possible. Will the HDMI output be active and if so would anything meaningful be displayed on it while running? I’m assuming at a minimum that I might see something on the HDMI output during the initial RoPieee setup which would give me some idea of the how the install is progressing.

Please note I’m assuming that having the HDMI active while streaming from Roon should not cause issues based on what I seen from Allo about how they isolate the output side of the DigiOne board from the input side which is connected to the Pi.

Thanks … Tim

If you want to use the digione with a pi touchscreen just buy one without the case or if you already have it just take it out of the case and use the touchscreen, that’s what I have done. You don’t need a screen to install ropieee though. Just burn it to sd card, stick the card in the pi, go away for half an hour and you should be able to use the gui.

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Pi with touchscreen running RoPieee and like it. If I get the DigiOne Player it will be for a location where the little touchscreen will not be of much use but it will be close to a receiver connected to a TV so I could view it on the TV if needed as long as it works.

Tim

Ropieee disables the HDMI on the PI once the install is complete, so only a touchscreen would show you anything…

Dietpi is fine. I have used it on several endpoints and it should do what you want. TV isn’t touch screen though so only really useful for big album art…

bearFNF,

I knew that RoPieee disabled the HDMI if you have the touchscreen connected, I was hoping it would or could leave the HDMI active if there was no touchscreen. Just looking for confirmation.

Thanks … Tim

yep, I just went through a second install with no touchscreen with the HDMI hooked up to a monitor and was able to watch the install and can confirm the HDMI goes away once it finishes.

Tony,

If I decide to go the DigiOne route I’m sure I’ll try DietPi but I like the idea of using RoPieee since I’m already using it. Probably not that important but if I connect the DigiOne to an audio receiver the idea of having something displayed on the TV when I select the input seems like it would be nice.

Thanks … Tim

bearFNF,

I was afraid it would work like that. At least I would get to see it boot up and know that it was working.

Thanks … Tim