Allo USBridge board

USBridge Signature is a whole new product, as far as I can tell from information gleaned in this thread https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-46.html, Allo will not manufacture any new aluminium cases for the discontinued old USBridge.

New USBridge Sig: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/vendor-s-bazaar/776944d1566557581-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-usb2-pdf which Allo are hoping to release towards the end of September.

3 Likes

Very interesting and good news for @RobOK too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am very interested in one of these, perhaps powered by their new Shanti PSU. I need to read some reviews first. I would like to know it works with HQPlayer too.

1 Like

Hope it sounds better than the original which i wasnā€™t too impressed with.

Which DAC? DACs vary a lot on how well they respond to USB sources. For USBridge as a source, I observed from mediocre (original Holo Spring, Metrum Onyx), OK but worse than S/PDIF or AES (Schiit Yggdrasil with Gen 5 USB) to matching S/PDIF and AES (Soekris dac1541).

Iā€™ll definitely be purchasing one, it will be able to run Ropiee. Shanti looks awesome as well.

1 Like

It will. Just need to allow some time for Jussi to make it compatible with his NAA image. Just needs a little communication between Allo and Jussi, just like I co-ordinated last time, as you saw for the DigiOne.

But then will be able to use just Jussiā€™s NAA image, which is ideal for HQP users.

Sounds good, I hope it works out that way and then I am in!

1 Like

I donā€™t plan on getting one, so someone else will need to co-ordinate between Allo and Jussi like I did for your DigiOneā€¦

Should be worth the effort though. USBridge Sig should be great.

1 Like

Hi @spockfish,

Is ropieee ready for USB Bridge signature? I will use it with Allo Katana.
Thanks

So you are saying that the USBridge was worse than S/PDIF on a Yggdrasil? I am currently running Allo DigiOne Sig into Yggdrasil but was thinking of going with USBridge instead. Not sure if Iā€™ll get a real benefit of switching from S/PDIF to USB.

The difference was greatest with original Yggdrasil USB vs S/PDIF, it decreased but did not disappear with Schiitā€™s gen 5 USB board. Schiit have developed a new USB board, Unison, which comes in the new Bifrost 2 and is supposed to be available to upgrade their other upgradeable DACs sometime next year. I was a Unison beta tester on my Yggdrasil, it was better than S/PDIF or AES from an Auralic Aries Femto. In your shoes, Iā€™d stay with the DigiOne Sig until Unison is released, and then consider Unison + USBridge.

2 Likes

BTW USBridge is currently unavailable and new is to be released very soonā€¦
Iā€™m quite happy with mine

1 Like

Yes, necessary stuff is already present in latest release.

Thank you @spockfish

Does the wifi dongle work well with US bridge? I currently live in a condo and canā€™t use an ethernet cable. The router is close.

Iā€™m most cases Linux drivers foto dacā€™ vĆ­a USB Ć”re not necesary

Donā€™t have the USBridge, but I do have the Allo Digione Sig and it works fine on WiFi using the built-in Pi Wifi (RPi 3 B+).

Just to note the Digione uses Raspberry PI but the USBridge uses a Allo Sparky, so different starting points.

I managed to get myself into the same position @Mongol_Moose and I think I might follow @dabassgoesboomboom advice too.

I wanted to repurpose my USBridge (giving me an excuse to buy the USBridge Signature for my main setup), using it in my kitchen feeding a new Topping D10 DAC before feeding some Ruark Mr1 Mk2ā€™s speakers. Anyway, I researched the Topping, which gets great reviews, but didnt fully appreciate the issue with powering the DAC with the USBridge and the fact that you canā€™t! Anyway, I am currently running the DAC with one of the USB slots in the Sparky as an interim, obviously I donā€™t want that long term, so I could either swap the USBridge for something else or add in the iDefender. In terms of your setup @Mongol_Moose, did you slot the iDefender into the clean USB out on the USBridge? Is it still working ok for you?

I had removed the j28 jumper running two psuā€™s to the USBridge, one clean (ifi) and one cheap wallwart. I think I will reinsert the jumper, use the cheap wallwart to power the whole bridge and use the ifi psu to power the idefender.

1 Like