Allow for selecting network interface in Windows, when multiple interfaces are available

Add an option to choose from a list of network interfaces, when multiple interfaces are available.
More details here

Seconding this. I often have several network interfaces operating on my Linux work machine and Roon’s decisions about which interface to use very frequently do not line up with what is required by my employer. Being able to explicitly tell Roon which interface I want it to use would drastically simplify my usage.

Please Please Please Please Please Please!!!

I don’t need an option in the UI or anything elaborate. A command-line switch to force a network interface or IP address would be perfectly fine.

I’m using Roon on Windows 11. I must have Docker Desktop and WSL available on this machine for development work. They create several Hyper-V virtual network interfaces with private addresses that are not reachable from my Roon Server.

Roon/RAAT sometimes advertises one of those virtual-interface addresses for my Windows machine instead of its real LAN address. The Roon Server then tries to connect back to the Windows RAATServer using that address, for example:

[raatserver] [RaatServer TELA @ 172.18.208.1:9200] client connection failed

When that happens, the sound devices attached to the Windows machine are unusable.

My current workaround is:

  • Stop Roon on my PC
  • Stop Docker Desktop
  • Disable all of the vEthernet network interfaces
  • Restart Roon Server on Linux
  • Start Roon on my PC while those interfaces are still disabled
  • Wait for the server to connect to RAATServer
  • Actually start playing music to one of the PC’s sound devices
  • Re-enable all of the virtual network interfaces
  • Restart Docker Desktop

I’ve had to automate most of this with a script because otherwise recovery is extremely tedious.

Worse, this isn’t only a Roon-startup problem. I recently had working playback fail in the middle of a song. A normal DHCP lease renewal on the Linux Roon Server triggered a Roon network/discovery refresh, after which the server changed its address for TELA from the working LAN address to 172.18.208.1 . Playback immediately failed.

I don’t think Roon needs complicated interface-selection logic here. Just give advanced users some way to say:

Use 10.249.1.158

or:

Use interface "wired"

A config-file setting, environment variable, or command-line option would all solve my problem.

Is there really no supported way for a Windows user who also needs Docker/WSL to tell RAAT which network interface/address it should advertise?