Allow liking (Heart) of any track in the play queue no matter the source

It should be possible to “Like” tracks directly from the play queue.

Right now it only appears to allow you to like song that are in your local library. Tracks from services do not seem to have a heart icon to click in the play queue. In researching this request is some people say a track has to be added to your library to be likeable. If that is the case, it seems like adding unnecessary steps to simply “Like” a track. Adding extra steps and along with fact that you can “like” tracks that are in your local library, but not others leads to a poor user experience.

Forgive me if the reason for this limitation is common knowledge, I just completed the trial period recently. :grin:

Extra important steps. When you add something to your library you are actually creating a database entry for that. Without an entry in your local database there is nowhere for you to heart.

Yep, I understand this all takes place as entries in a database. However programmatically if I click on the Heart for a track that’s not in my library, simply add the track to library/database, then add the Heart. There’s no good reason to require those things be separate steps. Or if there is a good reason, please let us know. :smiley:

Don’t forget that the :heart: icon has a different meaning in the streaming services from what it means in Roon. ":heart:"ing a track in Tidal or Qobuz means that it will be synced to your Roon library - it does not mean make it a favourite in Roon.

Currently it is easy to see in the queue whether a track is in your library or not - if there’s no :heart: or outline icon of it, the track has been added to the queue from a streaming service. If Roon Labs added the outline icon to streamed tracks as well, how would you know whether it was currently in your library or not?

Good question. I don’t have a good answer. In general, using a single UI element to represent multiple different properties, while efficient, is usually confusing. It creates a bit of a learning curve, which is another way of saying it’s unintuitive.

I personally don’t care all that much about what’s “in my library” or what comes from any particular service. There is the Tidal “T” logo embossed over the album art icon. For me this is enough of a differentiator as to what music is mine, and which comes from the service. Obviously the “T” is not as visible as the :heart: though.

Good point about the streaming service icon slapped onto the album cover - this would serve to differentiate where the track was sourced from. Perhaps that would be sufficient, but it would make the queue a special case where the outline icon would be put on every track.

Well, your suggestion will be read by the Roon Labs team in any case - it’s down to them what they do with it.

PS - don’t forget to vote for your own suggestion by using the Vote button at the top of this thread. Votes count…

1 Like