Allow Roon’s editor to update my Music File

Mp3tag on iOS appears to be a completely different application - and developer - to Mp3tag on Windows. Not necessarily a bad thing, but heads up for anyone (like me) who thought otherwise.

Or use a reputable ripping service, if you can find one. They used to flourish, but maybe becoming thin(ner) on the ground?

@Echolane

I haven’t tried one but a Microsoft Surface is a full blown lap top that functions as a tablet. Maybe you could use that while lying down.

1 Like

Needs to be on iPad not Mac.

I think I’ve found the solution. I was in Costco today buying a TV and I happened to walk past the laptops and decided to check prices. The lowest priced laptop was an HP Chromebook on sale for $199. They are wonderfully small and light and I felt I should be able to find a way to type half lying down. Then I discovered they don’t have Windows as their OS - darn! But there was a laptop almost as small next to it for $299. Need to do a little homework, but I think I’ll be buying it.

I had no idea laptops could be this cheap or I would have checked them out sooner.

I agree with you.

The Roon Export feature was supposed to do exactly what you’ve requested: to create a copy of your data file with the metadata updated with Roon’s info plus whatever you’ve edited from that. It’s never worked that way, however. If it did, it would solve your problems. I have a related issue: I get a lot of product on or before release date where that isn’t always in the databases that populate dBpoweramp. I’m too lazy to type in the metadata myself because I know that I don’t need anything more than the artist and album name for it to be looked up within Roon. Eventually I have all the info I want in Roon but since I have a number of disks with NO metadata, I’d love to be able to make a copy with Roon’s data in it.

Robert, I can imagine your metadata must look exactly like mine does, that is, almost no metadata! The difference between us is that I’m really into fine-tuning my metadata and I have really spent many many hours with the Naim editor making my music files look just the way I want them to look. Losing that entire investment in editing is particularly upsetting to me,

Unfortunately, we seem to be a chorus of two. Why or why has Roon decided against updating our user files? Maybe I could accept it more easily if I thought there was a good reason, but at the moment it just sounds arbitrary.

I actually support Roon’s policy of not touching the original file data. I thought it very clever of them to make the feature that allowed you to imprint the file with Roon’s metadata an export feature that imprinted a COPY of the file with new metadata leaving the original file untouched. My only issue is that the feature never worked and still doesn’t.

Can i be cynical?

It keeps you hooked, any fine tuning in Roon is not in your files should you decide to stop using Roon and hence is lost

The Export has been discussed above , I haven’t tried it but does it write to your file tags

Add to that you Naim WAV files are a non std format, as far aso I can gather they use a sidecar file to make up for the tag shortfall in WAV files