Alternative Jazz (new Grammy category)

This is going to be a splendid competition.

(Nominees are listed under the “Recipients” header in Wikipedia.)

3 Likes

The academy defines alternative jazz as “a genre-blending, envelope-pushing hybrid that mixes jazz (improvisation, interaction, harmony, rhythm, arrangements, composition, and style) with other genres, including R&B, Hip-Hop, Classical, Contemporary Improvisation, Experimental, Pop, Rap, Electronic/Dance music, and/or Spoken Word. It may also include the contemporary production techniques/instrumentation associated with other genres.”

Ah yet another foothold for rap.

Sorry but I really disagree with your last sentence…This area is the most interesting and exciting thing in Jazz at the moment. The Irreversible Entanglements and Moor Mother albums are some of the best music in ANY category at the moment.
Im sure a lot of people complained when Miles Davis introduced electric guitars and rock stylings in the late 60s but doubt anyone would now disagree that Fusion is not an integral part of Jazz.

Bring it on I say - music cant just restrict itself to “stuff I like”

1 Like

You are right in that there is a lot of very exciting and interesting new music being made that easily fits into this new alternative jazz category. What remains to be seen is whether or not any of it wins a Grammy.

On the other hand, there has been a sub-genre of jazz that has been around for over 60 years (about 10 years longer than fusion) that has never gotten any notice by the Grammy Awards. I’m referring to free/avant-garde jazz. As you so correctly stated:

Don’t you think that 60+ years of being ignored is long enough?

I think its a bit late to bring that one in now! The Grammys will be looking at trends and trying (?) to reflect something they see as a growing genre (which it is)
Anything too left field in Grammy terms has no chance of being included- ideally there should be categories for Doom metal, Minimal Techno, Noise etc but none of these really cut through from their own niches despite having been around for years.

Would have been good to see some recognition for people like Brotzmann, Bley, Sanders before they died though which is a massive shame.

I do believe that we are of the same mind. Now let’s see how this new jazz category turns out.

Agreed, this is exciting! Like a lot of us here, I’m sure, I consider my musical tastes to be pretty broad. You do lose me with most modern country and lots of rap and hip-hop. Unless, that is, there’s something interesting going on musically, then I’m willing to listen beyond the first verse.

My jazz tastes run pretty mainstream. Free jazz, like Irreversible Entanglements, not so much my thing. But, looking at the list of artists mentioned on that Wikipedia page - Robert Glasper, Kamasi Washington, Sons of Kemet, The Comet is Coming, and Makaya McCraven - these folks are all in my library and are putting out some of the most interesting new music being made right now. Bring it on, Grammys!

1 Like

The only one of the nominees I’ve heard is Love in Exile (Arooj Aftab, Vijay Iver and Shahzad Ismaily). If the quality of that album is anything to go by then I’m inclined to agree with @Frederick_Davidson - it will be a splendid competition.

1 Like

@DaveN,

I suggest checking out Louis Cole’s album. He’s an incredible musician – definitely genre-bending.

I heartily agree about “Love in Exile”

I listened to the Louis Cole album after posting yesterday and I would agree, it’s a great album. I found some of the shifts in mood between tracks a bit unexpected, but on the whole I really enjoyed it.

1 Like