Alternative to Ubuntu

https://clearlinux.org/

Circa 20% faster than Ubuntu. That’s a tonne of improvement from OS alone.

2 Likes

@grizaudio If you want to spend 8000 to 9000 € for the processor alone, you need an optimized operating system. If this comes directly from the same company (Intel) on Linux basis, that is a good sign. Since AMD is currently pushing forward again in the broad market, some things will also be straightened out in terms of price. Some benchmarks suffer because only speed and not user comfort is measured.

I’m a fan of Linux.
It just works, but it does need a slightly higher degree of user knowledge and maintenance.
But in the context of Roon server, Linux is a no brainer.

I would personally love to see a Roon pushing beta trials of Roon Rock ARM.

1 Like

I’m still doing the dualboot Linux Manjaro with Windows 10/11. 99% of the time I’m on Linux, but I don’t want to give up Windows completely yet and retain knowledge. To Linux I came only after Windows 8 and Windows Phone, which it all became more and more annoying. On a PC I have Windows 11 again go Windwos 10 in dualboot swapped. If it continues to go downhill and exclusively in the cloud, Windows falls out like MacOS with me completely. The last MacBook Pro is built in 2009, iPhone was deselected and Android covers the mobile track until Linux is also ready for the market here. Androidx86 is already being used on a test basis. For me, the future of IT is mapped out, but it won’t happen overnight, but in long cycles.

Not really an alternative to Ubuntu…

Clear Linux OS is an open source, rolling-release Linux distribution, optimized for performance and security from the cloud to the Edge.

Ubuntu is not a rolling-release distribution.

Clear Linux OS is not intended to be a general-purpose Linux distribution, suitable for novice end-users.

Ubuntu is intended for general-purpose use and is suitable for the novice.

2 Likes

…and this is misleading. Maybe 20% faster if you’re rendering or compiling, but for normal use this will be negligible. Indeed, anecdotal reports suggest Clear Linux is slower than Fedora 36. In my experience, Ubuntu 22.04 performs better than Fedora, so I guess it all depends.

I’m uncertain if Roon would install successfully on Clear too, since the OS is immutable with strict control of user space. When I have a moment, I may fire up a VM.

My recommendation, especially if you’re new to Linux, is firmly with Ubuntu. YMMV

4 Likes

With Ubuntu I started, with Linux Mint I continued more successfully and with Linux Manjaro KDE I really found the rolling release as a beginner, which made no more difficulties from installation to use. Even for Roon I needed no installation instructions.

To install Roon Server on Clear Linux, first wait ages for updates to complete, so you can acquire a lock file to execute the following. This is needed to install cifs-utils.

sudo swupd bundle-add storage-utils

Next, try to install ffmeg. Good luck! This is what I did. Go make yourself a coffee.

git clone https://github.com/marioroy/ffmpeg-on-clear-linux.git
cd ffmpeg-on-clear-linux
sudo bash build-all

While you’re waiting for the build to complete, head over to Roon Labs and download the easy installer script. Then wait some more for ffmpeg.

And wait…

Listen to those fans whir!

Cook the dinner…

Learn how to juggle…

Install and configure Ubuntu…

Listen to Giulio Cesare in Egitto.

Watch the Roon Networking Webinar

Get a haircut. Meet a girl, get married, and have children. Is it ready yet? Noooo.

Oh, it’s done.

cd ~/Downloads
chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

And… roonserver fails to run. Get the gist? This is not straightforward, and I don’t have the time to look into it any further. Nor do I have a sense of achievement for compiling ffmpeg. Clear Linux is not intended for general-purpose use, it’s a poor desktop choice, and I would not recommend it for daily use.

4 Likes

Cleared that up for you :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for doing this saved me sometime lol.

2 Likes

The frickery that Linux was accused of in the early 90’s from the Windows community, I find again today in the Microsoft world.

It’s become a big update pain, because I haven’t quite left it yet out of interest in self-harm.

It’s quite remarkable that I was only driven to Linux by the market leader itself in retirement age. There joy comes up with me again and I learn, there is not there one Linux for all, but many versions need-based for different applications and knowledge levels.

Everything is possible, from beginner-friendly to technically stubborn. No more sniffing one-size-fits-all and good tools that even Microsoft uses now.

Can I make a friendly suggestion for Fedora? I think it outpaced Ubuntu (significantly) when it comes to being up-to-date, user friendly and beginners friendly.

2 Likes

Red Hat is certainly a big commercial mover and Fedora is a collaborative child of the community. That prompted me to test there as well. I think for beginners already significantly improved, but still not quite as inuitiv beherrschbar as real beginner versions. The entrepreneurial focus creates courage to innovate, which others do not show so, but also security limits, which are not immediately understandable for beginners.

2 Likes

You can. :slight_smile: I spent a month or so with 35 and I enjoyed it (I use Gnome), but with the release of Ubuntu 22.04 there’s little between them. I prefer the LTS model even on the desktop and tend to use Flatpack for apps, so I have gone back to Ubuntu. But, yes Fedora is a good choice, and there’s a good (Discourse) community there too.

2 Likes

I think the way they are moving toward an immutable OS is the future, and it will be interesting to see how that develops along with full flatpack integration. Also, the package manager is slick and shows the age of apt in many ways. I’ll keep a VM, but for now I’m sticking with Ubuntu.

1 Like

I really like newest Ubuntu versions, ARM, x86.
IMO its much faster than Windows, and plays ball with class compliant multichannel interfaces, like Motu Mk5 lite etc.

1 Like

I only run Ubuntu on my 2016 MacBook Pro now (as a desktop since the keyboard is shot) and it’s a much better experience than MacOS. Boot is very fast and I no longer have the problem of apps stopping every time there’s a major release.

1 Like

I have almost no knowledge of Linux, but I use Roon Core installed on a NUC with AudioLinux headless version without any problems.
The OS has a command menu that includes many options (many more than I need).
It also has OS backup functionality (useful if you want to revert to an old version of Roon Core).
It is very easy to use and is an audio optimized OS.

There is also a GUI version, but I wanted to make a specialized PC for Roon Core, so I preferred the headles version.

1 Like

Means you don’t have a monitor connected, nothing to do with a GUI vs CLI interface.

I can run windows PCs headless, for example.

I didn’t know there was a headless version for Windows (meaning not a regular Windows not connected to the keyboard and monitor).
What is the official name of this version? I would like to try it, to see how “light” it is in terms of running processes and resources used.
My impression was that no Windows is as “light” as a headless Linux optimized for a specific purpose (audio, in this case). However, I have not been following the information in this field for a long time, so I am not aware of it…