Am I missing something? Where is the supposed album info Roon promises?

God Bless you!!!

It worked. But actually I can access all the open Aps by swiping up from the bottom left of the screen. So I did that. And got rid of any other open aps too.

Thank you so much. Looks to me like I am back on the original screen, where I told this whole set of CDs to play. And now I can PAUSE the music. So I’m back in business!

[Moderated]

8 Likes

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!

I now see the info about replying to many. I will try to keep that in mind in future. It once happened by accident.

So much of life happens by accident. That’s how I met my dear, beloved, now departed spouse. We fell in love after 3 weeks as friends. Got married a bit over 2 months later. And we had nearly 52 years.

He wanted the music - this very music - to keep me company after his death.

I have no complaints about Roon. I’m happy with the Nucleus. It works with Roon. And there are all these wonderful people who have helped me this far.

I will try just to use what I have now. It’s more than sufficient. I can even find my husband’s favorite music: Palestrina and “The Water Wheel.” (Totally different genres.)

3 Likes

Perhaps the music you listen to has no metadata but the recent releases for me have.

1 Like

Even if there is metadata available, it’s written in a foreign language for most people living on this planet. So yes, Roon is just another music player for them/us – but with strong promises on the technical side (RAAT, multi-zone, zone grouping, DSP) and for some this alone is worth the money.

As others have noted, how much metadata and information is available will differ from recording to recording, but even if there isn’t much information directly in the record profile (often the case for classical music), as long as the record is identified you can follow links to artists, composers etc.

!

!

image|666x500

1 Like

@TheraP, you mentioned earlier in this thread that you’d prefer paying for Tidal yearly as opposed to monthly. Tidal doesn’t offer that option but Qobuz does and it’s geared more towards classical music than Tidal. You can try it for free and see if you prefer it, like I did.

Tidal did offer a one year subscription at a slightly reduces rate in some (all?) parts of the world at the end of last year, but for now, it’s month by month again.

Hello @TheraP. Sorry to be reading about the problems you had. I’m not up to date on how to access the information either. Have not spent much time looking for it yet. Also a rookie IPAD user. I’ve had to look different issues up on Google to figure things out and some folks on this forum have provided timely responses to help me out. I am learning more about Roon all the time and it does get easier, as does using the IPAD to control it. Hang in there, you will be a wiz at it before you know it.

Ged - the metadata is out but at the moment Roon is not able to retrieve it. For example the Spanish jazz record label Clean Feed has very comprehensive info available for almost all their releases on their web site but Roon is not parsing this data. The same goes for Bandcamp releases. I would just like to see or hear that Roon is making an effort to expand their metadata capabilities.

Funny thing BJ is that if you had not written the above I was going to - Roon’s technical prowess is second to none and Roon’s RAAT protocol goes a long way in solving the mess that is DLNA and gives the equipment manufacturers a good set of technical specifications to base their streaming designs upon. And then there are all the other fabulous bells and whistles that you listed.

Maybe it just comes down to the simple fact that the metadata landscape is rapidly changing and Roon is just a little slows in catching up. I will endeavor to be more patient. Oh and listen to more popular new music, you know the kind with metadata, instead of new jazz, you know the kind without metadata. :laughing:

It’s listening to jazz that’s making you grumpy :slight_smile: Just say no.

I’m sure if you added these to your library you’d have ample reading material in Roon:

But alas, you’d have nothing to listen to… :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

And all that jazz is probably responsible for my migraines as well. :exploding_head:

My Roon core would just explode if it encountered anything by Taylor Swift, not to mention the damage I might inflict on my speakers in my haste to silence them.

I play a wide variety of music across many genres, and often find a rich display of metadata which I enjoy throughly. The occasional lack thereof is not so much a concern as it seems to be for others. I am very satisfied with Roon and wouldn’t want to have to do without it.

TheraP- hang in there. If you will simply continue to poke around the program, click on this and that, read and re-read the info in the Roon User Guide (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_User_Guide#Browsing_and_Playing_Music) you will become more proficient and learn to appreciate all that Roon has to offer. Modern software demands that the user self educate. The learning curve can be steep, but the rewards make the effort worthwhile.

“Even if there is metadata available, it’s written in a foreign language for most people living on this planet.”

Interesting in that I have NEVER come across metadata in Roon in a foreign language! I listen through Roon 4-8 hours/day, and read lots of the notes. What country are you in? I’m in California.

There are 195 countries in the world; the Untied States of America is just one of them. As reported by WorldData.info, English is a foreign language for 94.7 % of the world population.

2 Likes

And, it seems English is spoken (often as a 2nd language) by the majority of the of the educated citizens of the world. What language do you propose Roon should be using?

As every user pays for Roon, shouldn’t every user have the possibility to read the content in a known language? Why can the language of the user interface be changed when a good knowledge of English is required to read the metadata anyway?
Even if one accounts for the 2nd language speakers, 75 - 80 % (and I guess this is a very optimistic estimate in favor for the English speakers) of the world population is out of the game. And they are by far not all uneducated.
The usually used big metadata resellers just don’t have a solution to support other languages than English right now. Wikipedia seems to be the only project that managed the challenge of the multilingual world. IMHO just because of it’s non-commercial availability for users and contributors.

But I don’t propose anything. I just pointed out that for this 75 - 80 %, Roon “is just another music player” that can be used and that it has it’s offerings beyond the (3rd party) metadata that can also be found (and not understand) in other players.

1 Like

The iPad app does seem to hang up now and then, and the only solution is to kill the app, as you did. No need to kill other apps, though.

Listening to jazz is the only thing which chills me out again after I think of Roon’s horrible bait-and-switch promises about restoring a lost world of album metadata!

1 Like

@BlackJack

Roon is an American company, primarily appealing to a sophisticated, educated market. The idea that they should be catering to the rest of the non English speaking world is absurd. And, IMO, Roon is much more than " just another music player”.

2 Likes