Android app having trouble finding Linux Core

After restarting the ROCK server today the problem is back in full force for me also. :frowning:

Seems that the server was just in a ā€œhappy stateā€ during the weekendā€¦ strange.

Iā€™m having a similar issue with Android client remotes; they lose the OS mixer as an output and require a restart.

Hi @Jason_Gogal ā€” Thank you for chiming in and sharing your feedback with us.

As weā€™ve asked other userā€™s in this thread. Can you please provide us with a brief description of your current setup as well as the details of your network configuration/topology. Remote logs will be next :wink:

-Eric

The core is running on a SSD on a (somewhat older, but upgraded) Gateway PC, the network is my home router, and the crashing and output drops are happening on an android tablet and an android TV box. I could be totally wrong, but the android clients seem to be the issue.

Mystery continues. Pixel still unable to contact core. Nexus 7, left on the shelf, decided spontaneously to see the core again. I send @Eric a support package for the Nexus 7 (since the Pixel doesnā€™t even get to the point where I can do it), in case it has some useful info.

I have noticed one additional point of information that you other guys could also try and see if it is not just my tablett.

If I try to connect using the Android tablett and it fails, then while it is trying I start Roon Remote on my Iphone or my PC and when that Roon Remote has connected this seems to kick start the Android tablett connectionā€¦

Same here. New phone Galaxy s8+. After a while wonā€™t reconnect.
Before same problem with note 4.
Roon on Linux (Openmediavault)
Plex works perfect on same server.
I paid for lifetime but for now Roon is unusable and unreliable. Itā€™s a problem that exist for a long time but never solved.

Count me in. Unfortunately I have this issue now as well. Both on android 6.0.1 and 7.0 on two different devices.

Rebooted both core, remotes and router to no avail. Core on Win10 pro wired to Asus router AC68U. All working perfect up till now.

Tried the power saving idea above in the thread - no luck.
Tried the kick start idea with both ipad and windows remote - no luck.

@support, happy to assist with info as needed.

1 Like

This is interesting. Once that works again, does it consistently stay connected?

Iā€™d like to see some logs from the sequence of events youā€™re describing ā€“ Iā€™m going to follow up by PM @hmartin.

1 Like

Okay, another interesting datapoint. WiFi seems to beā€¦ if not anything so strong as implicated (since every app but Roon is communicating fine over WiFi from devices which are failing to connect as Roon Remote), at least somehow involved. Or adjacent.

On a device whose Roon app has been failing to connect to the Roon Core via the usual WiFiā€¦ I just tried turning off WiFi and plugging in a scrounged USB OTG wired ethernet adapter.

Roon Remote just casually went ahead and connected as if thereā€™d never been a problem.

Well, after an intermediate app crash because it apparently found something about the change disorienting.

I just sent a support package via a tablet (a semi-ancient Nexus 10) which had been failing to connect over WiFi but which later connected over USB wired ether.

(Hereā€™s hoping multiple support packages tagged with the same ID donā€™t overwrite each other, and hoping that connection log info from the WiFi time was retained and sent after the wired connection was established, despite the app stopping in between.)

I canā€™t try this right now with the Pixel phone this report was originally written about, because I donā€™t have a USB-C-compatible modemā€¦

I havenā€™t had any luck with this technique, nor has disabling power saving for Roon Remote had any noticeable effect for me.

And they sounded so promising!

Adding that all iOS and windows devices used as remotes connects to the core seemingly normal.

Well it is an interesting bug that is for sure.

I have sent a support-log to mike where I do the ā€œkick-startā€ so lets hope they can figure out what is happning.

Sorry missed that you had a question also.

No the Connection stays up as long as I activly use it. If left alone for a time the tablett loses the connection and cannot reconnect on its own. Hence I need to redo the ā€œkick-startā€ with the Iphone.

Edit: It can be that I lose connection when I by habit turn off the app. Tried keeping the app running over night and then it still had connection when I woke up.

Iā€™ve started suffering from this too, since this morning.

And of course, the second I say that, Iā€™m connected !
Phone had gone to sleep - when I took it out of standby I had the choice of 2 cores on my network. Perhaps this standby / battery situation is a clue ?

Iā€™m having the same issue connecting to Roon core using the Android app. The Roon app on MacOS connects just fine.

Roon Server 1.3 build 234 on Ubuntu 16.04 x64 VM guest - 2 vCPU (i5-4690K), 4096MB vRAM, SSD
Roon Remote 1.3 build 233 on Nexus 5x, Android 7.1.2, June 2017 patch
Roon Remote 1.3 build 233 on Nexus 5, Android 6.0.1, October 2016 patch
Music stored on Synology DS411slim, Samsung 850 EVO
7088 tracks

Google WiFi - three access points
Version 9334.41.3, updates automatically

Iā€™ve just grabbed my Core log while the Android app was stalled looking for it, got rid of [stats] and [push] lines as well as the repeated warning about push.roolabs.com, whatā€™s left is below. The lines

[rnet/RnetJsonClient] no data received for >10000ms. Killing connection.

look a bit suspicious. It looks like the core sees the Android app initially, but then it does not receive anything further from it, and eventually the connection times out.

06/17 17:38:38 Trace: [transport/raat] RAATServer discovered: RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529
06/17 17:38:38 Info: [transport/raatserver] GOT SERVER 47e938c5-561c-e6dc-99a8-ba3eeeaf772c::47e938c5561ce6dc99a8ba3eeeaf772c @ 192.168.2.23:59529 Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 PROTOVER=1 RAATVER=1.1.19 
06/17 17:38:38 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] connecting (attempt 1)
06/17 17:38:38 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] connected
06/17 17:38:38 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
06/17 17:38:39 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] GOT NONFINAL {"status": "Success", "devices": [{"auto_name": "Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7", "device_id": "default", "type": "android", "name": "Default Output", "is_system_output": true, "auto_enable": true}]}
06/17 17:38:39 Info: [transport/raatserver] GOT DEVICE 47e938c5561ce6dc99a8ba3eeeaf772c::default Type=android Name=Default Output 
06/17 17:49:38 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] no data received for >10000ms. Killing connection.
06/17 17:49:38 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] lost client connection. Retrying
06/17 17:49:38 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] connecting (attempt 1)
06/17 17:49:38 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] connected
06/17 17:49:38 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
06/17 17:49:40 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] GOT NONFINAL {"status": "Success", "devices": [{"auto_name": "Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7", "device_id": "default", "type": "android", "name": "Default Output", "is_system_output": true, "auto_enable": true}]}
06/17 17:49:40 Info: [transport/raatserver] GOT DEVICE 47e938c5561ce6dc99a8ba3eeeaf772c::default Type=android Name=Default Output 
06/17 17:49:52 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] no data received for >10000ms. Killing connection.
06/17 17:49:52 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] lost client connection. Retrying
06/17 17:49:52 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] connecting (attempt 1)
06/17 17:49:53 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7 @ 192.168.2.23:59529] connected
06/17 17:49:53 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
06/17 17:49:57 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] GOT NONFINAL {"status": "Success", "devices": [{"auto_name": "Fernando Pereira's Nexus 7", "device_id": "default", "type": "android", "name": "Default Output", "is_system_output": true, "auto_enable": true}]}
06/17 17:49:57 Info: [transport/raatserver] GOT DEVICE 47e938c5561ce6dc99a8ba3eeeaf772c::default Type=android Name=Default Output 

Am now having the same issue. Strangely, things were working fine earlier today. And can connect my core using iOS or macOSX versions of Roon remote. Strangeā€¦

My core received the win10 creators update (or whatever name it wasā€¦) yesterday. All working perfectly well since then. I havenā€™t touched a thing on the network settings except the mandatory restart of the core after the update.

Canā€™t tell if it is connected to this issue but could be a piece to the puzzle.

Iā€™ve had my server out while I tried Roon. I just moved it back to a wired Ethernet connection and could no longer connect from my Android phone. I disabled wifi on my server and the phone immediately found the core. Next time I tried, it failed again