Android app having trouble finding Linux Core

Oh well :frowning: So my Pixel talked to my core perfectly for the rest of the day, including when I came back home from dining out. Then, very unusually, we had a brief power glitch. When everything came back, Pixel would not connect to the core. My iPad connects perfectly, as usual.

@mike I’m not seeing any dropout issues…my whole network is UniFi (ubiquiti) router wifi and switches (4) and most of my gear is on cascaded switches.

While I do have rock, and some android phones that I seldom use, most of my endpoints are on rpi with ropieee thus Linux there but most controllers are iOS or macOS/ OS X

Just an FYI post on the unifi stuff.

LOL, I gave up and transferred the core back to my Win10 box, for now, tired of fighting it. Now all remotes connect just fine. back to enjoying the music for a while. Maybe I will look into turning the NUC into something else, later though. Right now I have another computer to rebuild and a Katana to clean.

Wow, that’s really interesting, it suggests the problem is in the network interaction between a Linux-based core and Android remotes. Last time I looked at logs for this problem, the (Linux) core had “concluded” that it could not reach the Android remote. My guess is that there’s some brittleness/bug in the core state machine (maybe with respect to some OS and/or network-specific parameters) that models the accessibility of the remotes. Once the state machine decides a remote is AWOL, it never tries again so the only “fix” is to reboot the core, but then only until the state machine is tickled into the “AWOL” state.

Got directed here from my post and have just completed the survey.

1 Like

Me too, only just noticed it.

i am seeing this problem seldomly with an iOS remote, too. rebooting the Linux core sometimes doesnt help; turning airplane mode on/off on the iOS remote is often necessary.

Been quiet around this thread any updates? Would love to get his working again without having to do a work around…

Another one of my ‘yesterday, it worked flawlessly’ - reports. Android app can’t connect to ROCK. I restarted ROCK, my phone, reinstalled the roon app, nada. Sadly, I can’t contribute logs, the app is stuck connecting. In the meantime, music plays fine via roon and is controlled via ipad. :roll_eyes:

Edit: I hate this bug. Another uninstall-reinstall-reboot-cycle on my phone fixed it for now.

Recently I have to restart Roonserver so that my Windows PC and/or Android phone can connect to it…

Setup:

Roonserver running on Ubuntu 17.04, ethernet network, Squeezebox end point.

Win 10, Android Nougat.

No changes identified to cause issue…

Hi all,

We continue to gather information about this issue, and have done a few remote sessions gathering information from affected users.

We are learning more about the conditions in which this bug occurs, but so far we have not yet found a “silver bullet” to make this issue consistently reproducible. As of right now, no one on the Roon team or on our alpha testing team has seen this issue occur on their own setups, which is making this very tricky to debug.

For now, we are continuing to gather information from the affected environments, and trying to determine what makes them distinct.

If you are experiencing this issue and haven’t yet filled out the survey please see my post above.

Also, if you meet the following conditions, please drop me a PM:

• Using ROCK for your Core
  • Having consistent Android connection issues with a recent version of Android (6.x, 7.x, 8.x)
  • Can connect your Android remote to ROCK temporarily by restarting the Core
  • Are willing to schedule a time to run some tests with our team – this typically takes 30-60 minutes and we can work around your schedule

Thanks all – we’re going to stick with this until it’s resolved, and trust me when I say I wish this wasn’t taking so long. We really do appreciate everyone’s patience!

1 Like

Just to add to the data here, I’ve just started experiencing this on an Xperia Compact Z5 running 7.1.1. With the Core on Windows 10 it was fine but moving to ROCK on a NUC 7i5 I’m having difficulties. A Nexus Tablet and Sony Xperia tablet running Android 5.1.1 and 6.0.1 respectively are fine. Restarting the phone fixes it, restarting Roon does not.

I had this issue on two devices from when the problem started to be reported in June. However it went away beginning of August without me touching anything in my network setup.

Running core on win10 nuc set to receive updates automatically. Also update all roon machines ASAP when an update is published.

Not sure the info helps but digging in change logs from that time might lend clues to what changed.

Hope I haven’t jinxed my now working remotes with this post… I would really hate resorting to an iPad again.:slight_smile:

I, too, don’t want to jinx anything but since following the earlier advice to disable power management for the Roon app I haven’t had any recurrence.

1 Like

This is sooo weird, I really appreciate how frustrating it has been for @mike and colleagues to try to track it down. My Pixel had not been working as a remote for months, and I could not get it to connect to the core when I worked with the Roon crew to try to debug the situation remotely a couple of weeks ago. Today, just for grins, I tried to use the remote on my Pixel, but for another reason (long story) phone wifi was off. The Roon app started, but it was not able to find anything, of course. I turned wifi on on the phone. Roon app froze. I stopped the app and restarted it. Lo and behold, when it came up, it saw the core and connected correctly! Of course, I have no idea if it will stay connected or connect again tomorrow. Weirdest part, AFAIK nothing has changed on my network, phone or servers since the last time I tried.

interesting, as a matter of usage, I always turn off WiFi when I am not in my house. And then turn it on again when I return. I wonder if that daily toggle on/off has prevented me from seeing this issue with any of my android devices.

Good suggestion, I hadn’t thought of trying that. I keep wifi on because much of the day I’m at work where there’s wifi, but worth trying your method, for sure. OTOH, I also have a Nexus 7 tablet only on wifi that doesn’t leave home and also fails to connect most of the time.

Hello all,

In my case, I can not join my ROCK Core with an Android TV Box M9C MAX connected with ethernet.

No problem with a Pixel C.

dp

@Dirk-Pitt Roon’s Android implementation is for phones and tablets. While, I have gotten it to work on a Fire TV box (not a stick) and I think someone else has gotten an Nvidia Shield to work, it has taken some tweaking on our parts and is not, AFAIK, an officially supported usage of Roon Android.

That being said, I did it as a tinkering function to prove it could be done. However, the control was such a pain that I never use it as an endpoint or Roon Control option.

Oh well, back to the bad old days, nothing can make my Pixel talk to the core today.