Android Auto remote access through VPN

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS916+

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit network, 500mbps up and down fiber internet connection

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Google Pixel 3a in Android Auto mode

Description Of Issue

Hey Guys, I’m a happy Roon user for about 4 months now. Right when I started I was not able to stream my music from my Synology NAS (through my Synology VPN connection on my phone, directly connected to my Synology NAS). Some Roon software updates later and now I am able to play my own music outside of my house through my own VPN connection! Not sure if I failed myself earlier during this specific setup, or if this is just now possible with the latest software at te time.

When I’m driving in my car I always use Android Auto. But I can not select the Roon app in there as a music player. And a workaround such as the AnyAutoAudio app will not show Roon as an app which is playing music either.
So my question, are you guys able to get Roon available as a music app in Android Auto? I understand it’s not a regular “streaming” app like the ones out there, and I am aware my phone’s data usage will increase by streaming music in high quality. I’m currently on a monthly 20GB plan and would like to try/test this out when I’m on the road every now and then!

If more info is needed I’m happy to help!

Roon does not support remote usage through a VPN. If you go to the Tinkering section, there are others who may be able to give you some pointers.

The apps have to advertise themselves as Android Auto apps for them to be picked up from the list of installed apps on your device and roon aren’t going to do that.

Thanks for the reply Rugby, well I got Roon working through my VPN, so that’s not an issue for me. It’s just that I would like to use it now in Android Auto as an official music player, or through the AnyAutoAudio app. This way the phone will mute down music when navigation directions are being read. Will take a look in other topics in the Tinkering section, thanks!

Yes, sounds like it should work something like that way. But why is Roon not going to do that? They don’t want to? Not sure how much work this is, but to get Roon playing music outdoors in car systems this way seems like a good reason to me to go for it…

Because they don’t have a mobile app and don’t want to support something arrived at in the tinkering section I would have thought.

I would love Android Auto support also. I listen to way more music on the road than I do at home.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.