Android Devices cannot connect to Roon Core

It’s bloody annoying when you’re trying to keep track of a home network and every mobile device spews out MAC addresses left, right and centre. I sneak around and “borrow” all the devices in the family to set them to static addresses.

I’ve no reason to do this other than liking a tidy network. I should get out more!

2 Likes

Simon I did not think it made much of a difference on a Pixel phones.
As to Mac randomness, well Apple did it…

It should really impact only when you are not connected, and when connected it should really use the same MAC. I shall say no more on the subject as I do not want this thread to start looking like and MQA or audiophile switch thread

Mike

Allegedly, it should only impact when you’re not connected, but apparently MAC address randomisation is still a work in progress, so can potentially have some issues.

1 Like

It’s not just me then! I have a “Network Map” spreadsheet to keep track of all the devices on our network, IP address, MAC address, and if wired, which patch panel and switch ports it’s connected to as well as the socket it’s plugged into! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

same here might explain why my daughters iphone keeps loosing its label i give it as its ikley seeing it as a new device if the mac address changes.

Using router-based parental controls can also be tricky with roaming MAC addresses!

1 Like

I think the app is definitely staying connected better without the fake Mac address. Maybe not left it long enough yet,but only time will tell.

And one hour on its still live. Thank you @Graeme_Finlayson for this suggestion it’s fixed my remote disconnecting.

2 Likes

I think I jumped the gun no idea why it worked for so long but now its returned to doing the same restarting the app only have two other apps open. Oh well they need to look more into this as no other app does it at all they all remain active when returned from background.

Simon that’s the downside of selecting a phone with ONLY 6GB RAM.

Joking aside it’s one of the reasons I stopped using Googles own phones, due to them taking so many of the configuration options away as they are trying to make phones for the masses and not techie’s.
I still really like them, but I have been a OnePlus user since the original OnePlus phone.
I really like the Pixel 4a and 5 and if the 5 had dual SIM I might have jumped back to it.

Mike

I had the OnePlus 5 before this had the same issues, it was a rock solid phone thought albiet their USB implementation was crap and unstable for DACs. I only got the Pixel as I got s great deal on it with my supplier, last Google I had was Nexus 4.

Simon
The Nexus 5 sits proudly at the top of my favorite old phones museum. Unfortunately someone smashed my Nexus 4 or it might be there as well (alongside the 2014 Moto X)

So I had a OnePlus 5 When I started my Roon journey (though might have been a 6) and they have always had the option of not swapping specific apps our of memory and for Roon in particular it is a game changer (along wit the ability to lock apps so that they are always running)
I almost never use my iPhone as it is out of memory within 2 minutes of me putting the phone down. But I think this is the downside of non native Apps and reading the complaints from ipad pro users as well, it could just be that Roon is a memory hog with all the metadata and images it has to cache.

Mike

Almost 24 hours left since I reset network settings on ROCK and everything still works :wink::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I don’t have an issue connecting its instant as soon as app opens. I am on about the app shutting down when its in the background all the time and the it having to reconnect rather than it be permanently connected.

Hello @Raymond_Anthony_Nach, glad you got some help here! Please let me know if the issue returns.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.