Annual vs lifetime (tough decision)

Hence why we get what we get (software wise generally speaking)…

1 Like

Unfortunately this has a lot of negative side effects, as the attention is shifted from the software quality to the service itself (the thing that Amazon Music calls interface is a major insult to any developer, up to the last junior, yet the service appears to be successfully enough, just an example).

Also, the cloud is a beautiful thing from many points of view, that’s until a thunderstorm is striking (I can name a few on the top on my head)…

1 Like

Yes, me too. Back when lifetime was $500, I opted in after two years of annual. I began to see that Roon was not JUST software (which it is, obviously, on one level), but was a significant component integral to my hi fi system, like a DAC, amplifier or speakers, all of which were multiples of the cost of a Roon lifetime subscription. While Roon may disappear someday (though not in the foreseeable future, apparently), and need to be replaced with something else, so too, eventually, will my hardware components become obsolete and require upgrading/replacement. Such is the nature of the audiophile hobby! In the meantime, Roon has revitalized my listening and enjoyment of music, and, to me, it was worth every penny.

4 Likes

What I meant was that spending $1,000+ on software that you can get for $700 is not smart.

O, sorry, I quoted you out of context to make a point and the point is that over a few decades of being software developer/user I’m still perplexed to see how many people are taking the software as something that can be made overnight with 2, maxim 3 mouse clicks over a cup of coffee and value the software products as such! (in their defense a lot of applications feel like this these days, but that’s another discussion).

7 Likes
  1. Once you pay for the lifetime membership, and the price is long forgotten.

2. Grab a tablet sit back and enjoy how cool roon is.

Till it crashes😛

Restart and go to step 2.

5 Likes

1.5. Forget about this forum (it will make point 2 way much enjoyable) :slight_smile:

6 Likes

OMG, this was my easiest decision, and after years of joy with it turned out to be the most precious decision in my life as an audio lover. Come on, let‘s face it, how easy are we talked into shelling out thousands of dollars for doubtful wonder-gadgets? And how frustrating is it to recognize that, over the years, we end up with a collection of outdated, worthless island solutions?

Roon has become the migration path into the future of audio for hundreds of audio equipment manufacturers, streaming services and music collectors. It is worth while to go with them.

10 Likes

I have done exactly what you have done and am currently annual. Lifetime would be simple as a decision but for the fact that tech changes all the time. If there were a credit for years of annual, i would likely go to lifetime.

No easy answer just like the lease or buy car question. Always a chance some thing comes along that’s better. But I believe roon is something you build a system around so you are likely to continue enjoying it for years.
Nothing comes close I’m my mind and I can’t see it not being part of my system for the next 10 years. Also hardware is coming out every year optimized to make roon sound better . I think you would be happy with a lifetime subscription and will see the room experience evolve and get even better.

3 Likes

Given how expensive the Roon annual license is, I think it is a good idea that Roon throw away HQPlayer license as an integrated package.

The fact is that the trend in the software industry is clearly moving toward the subscription model. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Microsoft in the private and server sector or Adobe with its creative cloud. For companies, these subscription models guarantee higher and more predictable revenues. I am currently also considering which variant I would like to use. It would be important for me to know what is planned for roon in the future.

Does anyone have a roadmap for the next few months?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Unfortunately for you Roon don’t really do roadmaps or release dates. It’s to avoid creating expectations and pressure, and it’s a policy I agree with.

1 Like

Generally speaking I believe that agreeing with such a policy is bad for the customers in the long term. Any company that sells a service has a very clear and sound expectation that you’ll pay, each month at the due date. Imagine if the consumers can say “well, i’ll pay you some time, I do not have a payments road map

I believe the expectations should work both ways and being open about the development direction shows the self-confidence in the future of the product in a better way than being closed.

With my pedantic hat on it’s the policy that’s the problem not my agreement. That said your point is a reasonable one. I think it’s more important for startups bringing minimal products to market and selling their potential. Roon’s a pretty mature product.

Not sure about the payment analogy. You’re using what’s currently offered not what might be coming. Withholding payment for a service you use is generally frowned on. If you don’t like a development you can stop paying.

1 Like

I think it’s a complicated matter, and going back to roon, it’s even more complicated because they are hiding the software product behind the service. A software product is a life entity by definition which transforms constantly (bug fixing, new ideas, new technologies and so on). Expecting the software product to evolve it’s a default (we live in the “automatic updates” world) so I believe this approach of “you pay for what it does now”, though it makes practical sense is also somehow false. I sincerely believe that anyone whos buying something software expects by definition some evolution of that software.

Roon … however, they do not make it public but we know a new version (1.8?) is being worked on. ETA when it’s ready …

My advice is to judge Roon or any product for that matter on what it is now … rather than what it may become in the future.

Life is not without risks, a method of judgment is via a 5x5 graph…

Likelyhood of occurrence… against… it’s impact.

• Low scores … go for it.
  • Medium … look to mitigate.
  • High … walk away

Ultimately we all have our unique attitude to risk … be that trying a new food, a financial investment or taking part in a dangerous sport.

However, putting things into perspective whether Roon flourishes or pales into obscurity… is not going to be life changing.

3 Likes

I’m broadly in agreement but again it depends. Bug fixes are a given and tech updates are likely but new features aren’t always welcomed. The Unix philosophy prefers small focussed programs over monoliths. Admittedly it’s an old viewpoint and particularly pertinent to developing utilities for an OS. I have had software spoiled as it’s feature list grew and it became less convenient and/or unreliable. Sometimes doing what you do well and sticking to it is fine.

Like dirk_de_taey I bought a lifetime subscription a couple of years ago.

I look on Roon as a (metadata) service subscription rather than a software product.

I have recently upgraded from using a Mac mini as my core and bought a Nucleus+ with an 8Tb SSD to hold my library. I could not be happier. I should mention that I am a classical music person and that is the area where Roon’s software is arguably at its weakest compared with other genres.

The lifetime cost is what it is. Once you have paid you just forget about it and enjoy. Perhaps an analogy might be buying your home versus renting. I have too many subscriptions already - Roon’s lifetime option was a no-brainer decision for me once I had tried it.

4 Likes

Guessing you got it when it was $500? That makes the sting less painful. Also guessing you didn’t already sink 3-4 years of annual funds into it already?