Annual vs lifetime (tough decision)

I went with lifetime as a covid lockdown present to myself.

I knew when they took away the lifetime option, I’d kick myself for not doing it.

Also, I have had some recurring subscriptions increase in cost. I don’t like the software as a service model, and after investing in the gear to use roon I didn’t want to be held ransom.

Is it worth it? I think Roon is a lot of fun and I like how it integrates with my setup. I think I’ll get a good few years of use out of it.

2 Likes

This is always an awkward topic; mostly due to the fact that to some the cost of lifetime in one hit is prohibitive, whilst to others, it’s not even worth a drop in the ocean.

Then of course, there are exchange rates, which for many users are not favourable. So, we all have different thoughts on this matter, that do not necessarily match with those of the OP.

This topic often gets brought up & I really don’t think any users can shed light on this matter that’s both financial and personal (how much do you love Roon). We are all in different boats, yet travelling along the same waterway.

:grinning:

2 Likes

Choose the one that’s right for you at the time. For me it’s still annual. I dont have to think about it as it renews automatically. I didnt want to stump up that much money when I started for life time even after I decided it was a keeper. I don’t have an issue with subscription models and my payment comes up as at a time of year when just had a lot of big expenditure. I am happy with how it is. I would break even after this year possibly if I had gone lifetime but now it’s just not worth switching.

I was just about to pay for lifetime when the price shot up. So I’ll stay annual.

I find Roon isn’t that clever for classical music so I use either the Qobuz app directly or JRiver. Shame.

1 Like

As an old cynic I feel that paying a large sum up front to any company in the hope that it will guarantee its service for 7 years (let alone a “lifetime”) is incredibly optimistic. I suspect that the best hope a lifetime subscriber has is that there will continue to be enough annual subscribers to provide Roon with an incentive to properly maintain the service.

Nope. That’s the way a cynic or pessimist looks at things, and that is what it is. I bought lifetime in 2015 and it only momentarily occurred to me it could be a mistake. My main concern was loss of Tidal.
Some people just look at things as wonderful opportunities. I guess we’re naïve.

But to the larger point, and title of this thread, Really?
Taking the car keys from your elderly parents is a tough decision.
Putting your dog down is a tough decision.
This decision is only tough if one has a hard time making decisions.

8 Likes

Well, we also do not need to take the title of the thread THAT seriously; after all, it is an audiophile forum discussing (mainly) first world problems.

5 Likes

So true! :wink:

It wasn’t a tough decision for me. 1 week into the trial I showed my wife the user interface from my 27 inch PC monitor, her IPAD and my note 9 phone, clicked on the zone, played the album she selected and that was it. She asked how much. I gave her the yearly and lifetime prices and she told me to go lifetime. Done.

I did get some push back over the cost of the NUC to replace my PC as the server platform, and better speakers for the Living Roon.

The cost of the multi-channel Dac for the entertainment system will be a tough one, probably require begging on my part.

The decision to get the Roon lifetime subscription was an easy one for us.

3 Likes

Lifetime is a wonderful incentive to live longer even under Covid 19 rules.
Stay safe and enjoy the music
David

6 Likes

I went for annual cause I think that this way I am contributing more to the cash flow of the company so helping them stay financial healthy and the product to last for more years

1 Like

I joined in the early days of roon around the transition from 1.2-1.3 and went lifetime in the same breath… 4+ years later and no regrets. The rest of the features that have come in subsequent years is just icing on the cake.

As components of my hifi go its the one I’ve used everyday since and probably cost less than most of the things in my setup over the same period.

7 Likes

As a previous Sooloos user for a number of years, I like the way Roon has developed this to be even more immersive.
I took the gamble and paid for a lifetime membership(at the increased price)…as even though it’s a reasonable amount of money to out outlay upfront, I’m hoping Roon will still be around in 5 to 6 years time, then I’ll have broke even.

4 Likes

Lifetime is the only way to go if you’re committed:

1. it stops this dilemma re-surfacing every year, and
  2. gives capital to Roon now, 6-7 years worth…
  3. costs less than most hardware “upgrades”
7 Likes

I was fortunate as I jumped on the band wagon very early while it was still fresh and considered risky and did lifetime immediately as I knew it was for me. I paid I think $499.

Perhaps I’ll go lifetime when my annual subscription is due for renewal in a month or so. Part of my decision making process will be the exchange at the time. Now it isn’t too bad, but changes happen fast. Paying well over $1000 is prohibitive.

And I often ask I wonder how Americans would view lifetime if their cost was also $1000+?

Notwithstanding, I don’t like subscriptions and always buy if the opportunity exists. So, I won’t be thinking about will I or won’t I get my monies worth. Will Roon still be around and so on.

I like to take ‘ownership’, as I do with my music come to think of it. :smiley:

For the record - I did send Roon a message about a week ago (no reply) asking if I subscribed ‘early’ would the time in the middle be added on - say a month if subscribing (and not buying lifetime). I assume yes, but no reply!

Maybe flag @accounts, I think the answer is actually NO i think you can for a 30 day period after renewal

They will know best

1 Like

Hmmm…thanks Mike…so no benefit in an early commitment.

However, in the interim I do now see an email from Roon, I’ve just been busy.

Thanks!

Hey @Nostro,

This is Rebeka with accounts. It’s great to see you engage in our community (and thanks!) as well as having as a matter of debate the type of subscription that will work best for you.

I’m glad you’ve found our email and I hope it answers your questions. If not, or if anything else is on your mind, we’re happy to help over email and on community.

Cheers,
Rebeka

PS: Sorry for the slight delay in replying - we’re working our way as quickly as we can to reply to every message we can :slightly_smiling_face:

I am comfortable paying for the annual Roon license and annual cost of Qobuz to be finding and listening to new music. I’ve been able to use Roon throughout my home with hardware that I already had. I’m not locked into anything, which is where I want to be.