Another Roon Update and Search Is Still Broken

I think that the thread title says it all.

Edit: I totally expect this thread to be deleted by the moderators.

1 Like

If so, then because another, long running thread already exists:

Well yes, kind of, but more because harsh criticism of Roon is frowned upon to the point of censorship. Just like with all things Apple.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading these forums often daily for years.
Iā€™ve seen plenty of criticism but the only time Iā€™ve seen criticism deleted is when the poster also violates the terms of service/code of conduct.
Ie. being rude or resorting to personal attacks.
Removing posts like this isnā€™t censorship.
Itā€™s more like taking out the trash.

7 Likes

Constructive criticism is welcome. Please add some more examples to the long running thread posted above. Search is tweaked in the background to varying degrees from release to release.

1 Like

The other thread has existed for a year and is full of harsh criticism.

Yep I have given some harsh truths of search in that thread.

The problem with giving examples showing just how poorly Roon search function performs is that sometimes search works just as it should and other times search does not work as it should and this behavior is completely random and therefore hard to duplicate.

I started this thread to highlight the fact that for the all chest beating that comes with each new Roon release still search remains broken.

Yes but they cannot fix everything with every release. No doubt that for whatever reason ARC had to take priority.
I fully agree that search has always been the most frustrating part of using Roon. Nothing worse then being unable to find your own music (other than being unable to even play it if your internet is down perhaps).

2 Likes

IMO the best approach is to consider the filter function your library ā€˜searchā€™ and the actual search function is for searching outside your library (i.e. when you hear about a new artist/album etc). Filter is so easy - even with the actual search you then have to click a few more times to navigate to what you are looking for, whereas with filter it comes up in real time as you are typing in.

TLDR: use filter for anything already extant in your library; search for anything that is outside of it, and youā€™ll be a happier camper (and Iā€™m not saying that the search algorithm isnā€™t a mess).

3 Likes

This is where Roon needs to get its priorities in order this is a core function. The purpose of any library software is to be able to quickly search and find what you want to play.

3 Likes

Despite possibly sounding snarky in my earlier reply I do appreciate your frustration with Roon search.
Most of my library is classical music where Roon search is especially hit or miss.
But it is slowly improving and is a far cry better than it was a year or two ago.
And although it can be tedious to use, I can usually find what Iā€™m looking for using Focus.
So yes, search is still a bit broken but I find the benefits of Roon to outweigh its cons.

Also I recognize and appreciate your profile pic.
Conference of the Birds is one of my favourite albums.

Agreed I use Focus when searching for items within my music library. I also agree that Roonā€™s many benefits far outweigh its underperforming search function.

Finally thanks for the Conference of the Birds shout out!

1 Like

@danny Please feel free to close out this thread because I think that I made my point quite clearly. And thank you for all your hard work!

Added to my queue :+1:

1 Like

I like to call ā€œConference of the Birdsā€ the ā€œKind of Blueā€ for avant-garde jazz. Please give it listen and hopefully youā€™ll find it enjoyable.

1 Like