Any Good System for Moving Songs In and Out of Playlists?

I’m having issues with Roon doing very basic things with handling playlists.

My current system for listening to new music:

1. Create a new music playlist, add new albums I’m interested in listening to
  2. Listen to them
  3. Move tracks I like to appropriate playlists
  4. Remove tracks I’m not interested in from the library

With iTunes and Music Monkey this was super easy. Rate the songs out of 5, add them to various playlists, delete the songs I disliked.

With Roon this seems impossible? Obviously Roon doesn’t allow any sort of rating. But also, I can’t view WITHIN playlists whether I’ve “banned” tracks or even whether they’re tagged. So I can tag a track “1 star”, but I have no way of then removing them from my new music playlist because I can’t see WITHIN the playlist whether the track is banned or tagged.

I also have no way to sort within playlists whether I’ve liked a track. So I can tag them “5 star” or whatever, but again have no way to sort and re-organise within a playlist.

Further, when they are not local tracks (ie. from Tidal or Quoboz) I can’t remove tracks I dislike from my library without removing the entire album. I can “hide” them, but then they still show up in all the playlists.

It continues to baffle me how Roon fails to do very basic functions of a media player, and thus requires all kinds of complicated work arounds.

It seems you are trying to use Roon in a way it’s not designed to. It’s heavy focus on albums instead of tracks

Do I understand you correct that you want to delete tracks from Roon and only keep liked tracks in Library?

1 Like

Perhaps a better workflow is add albums you want to listen to (i.e new albums tag). Add heart on all tracks you like - then save a bookmark were you focus on tag + heart tracks.

Then you have a dynamic playlist of liked tracks within a certain tag.

1 Like

So then not use playlists at all and use bookmarks + tags as a pseudo-playlist?

You could of course create a playlist and add all songs you like to that - without using bookmarks & tags. Not sure I understand why you want to delete tracks from your library - what does that acheive?

Well, first I don’t have an ability to track status between playlists. So I can’t see and add any information (eg. liked, banned, tagged) within playlists.

As well, I think it’s a pretty normal think to remove tracks from a library. First, to keep a library a reasonable size full of songs you actually like. Second, if you have a number of local tracks I want to remove (for hardware space) if I decide I no longer want the song.

Roon is the first music database manager I’ve encountered where this basic functionality - of managing music within playlists - is so difficult.