Anyone else getting FLAC CD-quality via standard Amazon Prime (non-Unlimited plan) via Connect app?

I just checked in KEF’s Connect app the bitrate on one of the Amazon prime radio stations and it’s coming in FLAC 48/16.

But I only have the standard prime membership shuffle music plan, not the upgraded unlimited music plan that I thought you needed to get FLAC CD-quality.

Is Connect reporting accurately? Playing on LS50W2s.

I would say it’s misreporting.

Wiim app shows it’s lossy, maybe their app transcodes

I’m getting higher too

What’s odd is it’s not displaying the Radio Station graphics :thinking:

Which station is showing that?

Some streams are 16/48, but only around 320kbps, so should be Opus if I’m not mistaken :thinking:

Very odd

That info looks bogus: 16/48 stereo has a rate of 1536kbps, not 1411 (that would be 16/44.1).

Ultimate classical.

Each time I tap on it, I get a different track.

Yeah if Opus will be 48 as it doesn’t do 44.1

1 Like

I agree fully

You using Amazon cast or the Wiim app?

Is it the same for each station, track etc?

WiiM Home App

I can’t check now as their own app offered me a free trial again so I took it. That radio shows as being UHD for me now. This is using Amazon cast to the Wiim.

1 Like

I think @Trans_Atlantic is it possible you signed up to a free trial or failing that it was a bogus read out in the Kef app.

WiiM Home App vs Kef Connect is apples vs oranges I know but it’s all we can check with at our ends.

Flac rate isn’t fixed due to its compression method and most apps I know don’t show the full pcm rate just the bitrate that the file gives as metadata which is bogus. UAPP every track is a different rate.

1 Like

It’s hard to believe it’s a coincidence that the compressed rate is exactly the rate of red book, but I guess it’s possible…

1 Like

I am playing an album now 44.1/16 UAPP shows 653/702/699 it goes on, none are near redbook. As I said they read what the files seems to give as a data rate which is bogus not sure how it works it out. Playing redbook on the Wiim from a local file does show the correct pcm fixed rate. But not from Amazon Music or any other streaming service.

1 Like

I know what you refer to. 1411 but for 16/48.

As @CrystalGipsy mentions, it’s often lower than what you’d expect.

Not had enough coffee today, but can Opus be sent in flac :man_shrugging:

Not that I know of. It’s some metadata issue possibly at the encode stage where it’s getting the original rates.

1 Like

That would be a compression of about 8%. I think FLAC should do better than that.