Anyone have this issue with the Squeezebox Touch?

I’m using a SBT as an endpoint in a headphone setup. The SBT is connected to my network via ethernet cable.

I use an iPad 7th gen as my Roon remote and noticed sometimes, usually after a few days of not using the SBT, when I change the volume using the volume control in Roon the sound from the SBT will cut out completely, though it appears Roon is still playing. It’s as if Roon has lost control of the SBT. The only solution is to reboot Roon. Fortunately, it never happens during a listening session.

I though maybe something might be going wrong after Roon did a database backup (Roon is set to automatically backup every 7 days), during which connection to the SBT is lost, but I wasn’t able to trigger the issue by forcing a backup.

Anyone else have this issue? I figured I would ask here before opening a support thread in case this is a known quirk with the SBT.

I wish I could help you out here but all my Squeezebox Touches are set for Fixed Volume and that works without any issues.

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

So set to Fixed Volume, how are you controlling volume?

The volume is controlled by the analog playback device that the Touch is connected to, e.g. a preamp or a home theater receiver.

1 Like

I use a couple touch units as Roon endpoints - but don’t use the Roon volume control - I have Roon volume set to 100 percent - and turned off - just control the volume with my pre amp

I may be wrong - but I always believed controlling volume in the digital realm impacts loss of detail downstream

Unfortunately, my room layout precludes placing the headphone amp (analog only, no remote) within reach of my seating position.

Oh, wait, didn’t the SBT come with a remote? I’ll have to see if I can find it.

I believe in modern devices the digital volume control is no longer an issue; something to do with higher bit depth being used or something like that to avoid audio degradation. I’ve certainly not noticed any added distortion or reduced details using the Roon/digital volume control.

There are some impacts when using digital volume control for 16 bit files but like all things audiophile the impacts are greatly exaggerated. I wouldn’t sweat it. However if the issue outlined in the first post of this thread persists when using digital volume control then would need to be corrected.

I suspect there’s something going on between Roon and the SBT that’s causing Roon to “lose control” (for lack of a better term) of the SBT’s volume control.

I found the remote control for the SBT. I’ll test setting Roon to Fixed Volume for the SBT and using the SBT to control volume. It’ll be interesting to see if this resolves the issue.

Well, that was a bust. With Roon set to Fixed Volume, the SBT remote volume control does not work (trying to change the volume on the SBT screen also doesn’t work). Roon must be set to Device Volume for the SBT remote control volume control to work. Back to square one. :frowning:

You may have to try a variation or two:

Setting the volume as Fixed (as you outlined in your post)

Setting the volume as variable

Give them both a try and see if that fixes (no pun intended) the volume control issue.

Lol, we were typing at the same time. See above.

1 Like

As I mentioned, Roon must be set to Device Volume (ie variable) for the volume control on the SBT remote to work.

My initial thought is this leaves me with the same issue, but is it possible that using the SBT remote rather than the volume control on Roon might not trigger the issue? :thinking:

Hopefully! Try it and find out.

1 Like

So far, using the SBT remote instead of Roon on my iPad to control volume, pause, play, next, etc hasn’t triggered the issue. :+1:

1 Like

Just an update…

Since using the SBT remote to control volume, pause, next track, etc, instead of the Roon remote (iPad) I’ve not had the issue described in my first post. Yay! :grinning:

While using the SBT remote is a little more inconvenient, it’s better than getting comfortable for a headphone listening session only to have the problem pop up and have to reboot Roon (a real mood killer).