Anyone interested in cheap volume control knob that works with the Web extension?

I’ve been happily using the Griffin USB Powermate rotary encoder knob and the associated extension, but that hardware has been long discontinued. Having a currently-available solution would be nice.

Looks promising! Definitely a nice to have along with Ropieee.

@MenloBob Any status update on when you’ll be able to share your code?

I would definitely be interested in using this. Thanks for putting it together.

Nice! This is exactly what my kitchen hifi (Ropieee) needs :smiley:

I have one in a draw… Can you point me in the right direction to get this working, please?

Any idea if the Bluetooth powermate would work with this extension?

Any idea if the Bluetooth powermate would work with this extension?

I expect not. I have no direct knowledge, but usb and bluetooth hardware are treated differently by the underlying computer - different drivers, etc. They both tell the machine “Hey, I’m an instance of a human-input device, and I turn the volume up or down” but they do so in different ways. (edited for context)

1 Like

It depends on the configuration you have in mind. To what device do you want to connect the USB Powermate?

When using a Linux device (e.g. RPi) you can install it using the Extension Manager.

I’ve got the paperwork in at work to get approval to publish this to github. @Jan_Koudijs what do I neec to make this installable by the package manager? Build a docker container? Is there a spec somewhere?

Meanwhile I used a double wine bottle case as an enclosure to put the volume control and the pi4 into. It’s wife approved :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I have a NUC Rock core, a Raspberry Pi with Ropieee and potentially a griffin usb power mate for it… looks like this hardware combination isn’t supported. It’s certainly not worth adding another pi or pc just to run the extension manager, or perhaps I’m misunderstanding something?

MJB I think you just need to run DietPi with Roon Bridge and the extension manager instead of Rooopie.

@Jan_Koudijs are the maintainers of Roopie unwilling to integrate the extension manager?

And then I lose 7” pi Touchscreen display support, which I use. Ropieee needs to support the extension manager, not sure why it doesn’t.

Does the extension manager do anything to manage startup of the extensions?

Sure. It keeps track of the state of the extensions, meaning that running extensions are automatically restarted in case of a system reboot.

@MenloBob Where are we at publishing the code? If not yet ready as extension, would it be possible to publish it on github?
Looking forward in testing and using it. I already have the controler.

I would also be very interested in this solution.
My wife would be overjoyed to have a simple knob like that. In fact, upon reading this thread I have just ordered a volume knob - just in the hope of maybe getting it to work.

Wouldn’t that also be a great addition to RoPieee?
Maybe we could get @spockfish interested in the project?

1 Like

I like to let you know that I have published a Respberry Pi image for the Microsoft Surface Dial

I use it since some weeks now and I can’t imagine having to do without it again. Hope this is also a useful extension for you.

It is compatible with any Roon Ready playback device and with the roon bridge. You don’t need a Windows PC and it also works with Roon Nucleus.