Anyone tried a POE HAT?

Curious if anyone has tried this and compared running it with Roon vs an external PSU?

1 Like

Looks cool. If I had a proper Poe switch I’d get one to try - would be nice to get rid of a few power bricks…

Older thread but I am using 2 of the mentioned POE Hats in different uses. One is in a PiHole running on my network and the other is running a ROON endpoint on RoPieee with a 502 audio hat. It took a little bit of modification to stack everything in the case but works great so far and is pulling about 3.25w of power on POE. It does have to be 802.af/at POE and cannot be passive POE. It is a little more expensive than the official one but I like the form factor better and have had no issues with it.

And it has no fan unlike the official one. How are the temperatures? Some reviewers mentioned that it runs very hot.

I know this is a bit tangential … but I just setup a POE network …

I wish there were a Roon Ready POE speaker/endpoint. (There are a couple of amplified POE speakers, but none appear to be Roon Ready.)

Decent amplification might be a challenge with POE. Modestly powered amps/speakers (eg 20watt?) would still be useful… Another approach could be to use POE to trickle-charge an integrated battery which supplies extra power during playback.

I haven’t had any issues with temp. They are both running right around 60°C. Which is well enough below the temp where they take a performance hit at around 85°C. These are both in fully enclosed cases one metal and one plastic with a hat.

out of curiosity I ordered POE hat for RPI4 and it works fantastic.
now this is most simplistic Roon endpoint I think.
temp is around 60-64 degC. need to solve passive cooling better.

I’m looking into this as well, but I am new to RPI’s. I intended to use either a Allo BOSS dac hat or an Allo USBridge (+ AQ Dragonfly Red) but combining this with POE capability would be really nice as I have setup a POE network and the location I intend to use the RPI on is better suited for POE than wall power.

Can I stack boards or do I need to pick one?