Anyone using UniFi Express successfully?

Notwithstanding that no-one seems to have stock in the UK at the moment, is anyone successfully using a UniFi Express router/wifi?

Any reason why I should pick the UniFi Dream Router instead?

The intent is to switch my (flaky) Virgin Hub 3 into modem mode…

It’s a question of tradeoffs.

I use a UDM Pro, which I’ve used since its relese. A used a UDM before that, a CloudKey before that, and hosted the “Network” software in the cloud and on my own gear before that. Every approach is just a set of tradeoffs.

The Express is a very good value for the price. It’s small, and has a built-in WiFi 6 access point. If you’re closely watching the evolution of WiFi 7, and think you might want to go in that direction when UniFi releases more WiFi 7 devices, then that might give you pause. I’m not sure it should, though. Worst case, you can disable the WiFi 6 access point in the future.

You may already know this device doesn’t support either Protect or Talk applications. A home user is more likely to become interested in Protect, which is what you run to integrate UniFi cameras and doorbells. Talk is VOIP (physical UniFi phone handsets) and is more likely to be relevant to a business, though I used it in a home scenario at one point to support a physical FAX device which was necessary for my wife’s work.

I like Protect and the UniFi cameras and doorbells quite a bit. It’s a private-cloud solution to security cameras. If you think you might want to use it, then I’d recommend a Dream Machine (non Pro) over an Express.

It doesn’t have a 2.5GB ethernet port, but that’s not an issue for most people.

In the end, it really is a question of what you intend to do with it and what your specific needs are. If you haven’t watched review videos yet, this is one that might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLLa9WGWPCQ

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. I don’t recall anyone here mentioning that specific device but there are many of us who are familiar with UniFi and might be able to answer questions. My personal take with the UniFi gear is that it is outstanding stuff though there are always bugs kicking around. It’s good long-term gear that evolves over time with frequent software updates. It’s very modular and can be upgraded and extended as you go. Well worth it, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I only found one reference to the Express in searching, and that was only a passing reference, and not the subject of the post.

I think I’m looking for a one box solution, or at least minimum boxes*, rather than going ‘separates’. I live in a house - not a mansion in the sticks, nor an apartment in the city - so I don’t have range issues (the Hub 3 is fine when it’s working) and the ether isn’t crowded.

Doorbells and cameras aren’t on my list, and I’m not sure the intrusion prevention functions (also omitted from the Express - if I’m reading the initialisms correctly) are required, so I don’t see the need to pay for them - unless I’m losing something that is important that I’ve overlooked.

VoIP is important - we’ve not had a line rental for five years or more, but do have a hardware Snom IP phone on the router running from Voipfone. I was pleased that worked with no faff in the Hub 3, and would like to assume it would continue to work with UniFi…

‘* The UniFi Express has only one hardwire LAN port, so I’m anticipating a small UniFi switch to support the handful of wired connections that are needed. I know the usual recommendation is an unmanaged switch, but I’m reading that as ‘avoid mismanaged switches’.

The Dream Machine (non Pro) would get you a built-in switch and the ability to run applications other than “Network”. You may not yet be aware that UniFi routers are application based. You install whatever collection of UniFi apps make sense for you. Here’s my dashboard where you can see that I have only Network and Protect installed:

My mention of VOIP was specifically about the UniFi “Talk” application which is necessary if you want to purchase and use UniFi handsets and calling plans. The Express can’t run the “Talk” application, so you can’t later decide that you’re interested in their VOIP options. If you want to maintain optionality around that, then you’d need one of the other devices. This is what I’m referring to:

Hope that helps.

There are pitfalls with managed switches. If your topology is end to end UniFi, those pitfalls are pretty easy to avoid. I have a quite a few UniFi switches and the paths from my Roon server to my endpoints traverse them without issue. If you run into issues, people here including myself can advise on best practices for configuring them.

I’m of the opinion that if you go with UniFi, you should go entirely with UniFi. You can run into issues with things like spanning tree protocol if you mix vendors.

If you believe, though, that you’re going to want to put a switch right next to your Express, then possible consider a UDM instead since it has a switch built in. It also supports PoE on two of its ports. PoE might not sound interesting to you right now but it becomes interesting when you realize that you can run an ethernet cable that carries both power and data to a number of UniFi devices including cameras, switches, and access points.

1 Like

Definitely helping - thanks!

I wasn’t anticipating using UniFi’s voip services; but I think I probably need to ask my current provider (Voipfone) if they are aware of any potential issues with UniFi kit.

The UniFi Dream Router is probably overspecified for my use case; it’s also twice the price of the Express (and currently unavailable… ) even if I pair it with one of the 5-port switches.

And yes - use case probably locates all kit in one location.

Until this week my home network was Unifi.

I’ve had the UDR, and whilst it’s a one box (pill) solution I found I couldn’t have it in a room of occupancy due to fan noise. That meant I needed an AP in its place.

I subsequently sold it and went back to using a USG, cloud key and a PoE switch with my APs.

The Express looks interesting but I’ve gone back to using my Google WiFi network.

I am also a VM user and my superhub 3 is in modem mode. The Unifi equipment worked great. Probably more advanced than I needed, but I like to tinker.

Now for the not so good

I got completely p1ssed off with Ubiquiti as they never fixed the Unifi Android app. You can’t access the firewall settings (I couldn’t from 3 separate Android phones) and submitted a ticket. After 6 months they closed the ticket (IIRC) even though they acknowledged the issue but then haven’t fixed it.

I only have one of their APs installed due to it being ceiling mounted.

If you’re an iOS user you won’t have these issue.

1 Like

Pixel 4a, iPad Air… :wink:

That’s a great point. My UDM Pro and my primary UniFi switch are rackmounts and my rack is wall mounted in a non-trafficked room. I had a UDM prior to the release of the Pro and you’re right…it’s loud. I have no idea if the Express has fans or not.

That’s too bad. My firewall settings are complex - I do the editing on a Mac in a web browser. I have no idea if the iOS app has issues editing firewall settings - between setting up port profiles and firewall rules, I find the process complex enough to justify doing it on a big screen. You’re justified in being annoyed, though.

For iOS users the Unifi app works as intended and you have full access to settings.

For my initial set up I used a computer, but for those small on the fly adjustments I liked to use the Unifi app.

Equipment wise I can recommend Unifi. :+1:

I don’t do advanced stuff on the app only via the webinterface. I would not swap my UniFi for another setup works to well and the kit on the whole is unobtrusive and reliable. Had a g3 camera die whilst under warranty but as they had discontinued it they sent me a new g4 as a replacement.

1 Like

Express is good if you don’t need PoE. Pro is good if you have a use for the other applications.

So far, I’ve only installed Pro as clients always find some reason to spend the extra but the specs of the express looks to be excellent value… minus the PoE. Although, I did a recent install with a Pro and a Lite 8 PoE and that little Lite switch is humming along fine powering 2 APs. Pretty good value for a managed PoE switch.

2 Likes