Apple Music and/or Spotify as Roon sources

My car is dead silent

I said “most cars”.

I know. I agree with you,a noisy cabin really doesn’t help much with lossless music though I can still tell the difference between Spotify and say Apple music .

I’m curious what you drive? I’m in a Tesla P85D, which is pretty quiet, but not silent.

Mazda CX 9. quieter than a lexus

Do we have any news after WWDC? I’ve heard musickit API have been updated, I’d love Apple Music integration in Roon. That would be a dream come true!

1 Like

As has been often noted on this issue, Roon requires deeper integration than simply using APIs.

How about they forget about what they need and make do with what’s possible. I used AM integrations on other devices and that would be enough to start.

You are obviously qualified to decide on Roon’s behalf the future look and feel of its product ?

My guess is that the passion for what they have produced so far will not allow them to comply !!

This request has been made so often its becoming boring. I am sure Roon staff are keeping a watching eye on what Apple (et al) will permit. When Apple provide sufficient access I suspect Roon will JUMP at the chance but until now – Patience :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

If only there were some kind of definitive statement explaining the situation on a service-by-service basis that could be pinned and updated with comments turned-off. It might stop these threads…

5 Likes

It’s not possible with the API period. Perhaps read up on the docs and you will see what it’s actually does and why its of no use to apps like Roon or other apps that use their own playback engines . It’s for apps on iOS that use the system audio player or AMs music player or webpages using Java that calls their player you cant use your own player architecture to stream from AM This is why it’s not in hifi devices to as this API isn’t for that or you would see it supported everywhere. You can’t hold any of AMs data either so not much use to Roon considering it uses its own local database to give it’s bespoke features . With out the Roon specific functions why bother using Roon for AM you might as well use their own app.

The software in most of the speaker devices in my house have built in:

• Roon Ready
  • Apple Music
  • Amazon HD
  • Spotify Direct
  • Tidal
  • Radio

I can also broadcast to them using AirPlay and Bluetooth.

Even if it were possible, there would be no point in building Apple, Amazon or Spotify into Roon. They are the mass-market services and if you want to use them, best to get equipment with them built in already, and there is no shortage.

It is of course vital that Qobuz and Tidal are built into Roon as they are niche services that you cannot expect to be built into mass-market products, but are heavily used in the Roon community.

In my multi-room system, using the same speakers, we use Roon for music, Radio for radio, Apple TV+ for via AirPlay for home cinema and Spotify for things like podcasts in the kitchen.

I do use their own app, that is not the point.

There are a couple of things:

1. I agree that they will not do it, that’s the sad part.
  2. AM is not using Java
  3. AM api is JS and REST
  4. AM api are used by Sonos, Amazon smart speakers, Samsung smart tvs, Game Consoles, Roku

I need also apple music integration in roon, tidal and mqa sucks

Welcome and thanks for your opinion.

5 Likes

I’d absolutely kill for this now. Been using apple music more and more and it’s pretty nice, but pretty woeful on desktop from what I can see. Seems so strange apple wouldn’t want to push the HD audio stuff on clearly the people who are the market for it.

Please add Apple Music ! A huge catalog with dolly atmos too :slight_smile: