Apple Music HiFi tier to be announced

Well said. This reminds me of getting more whites on white sheets with each passing year in detergent industry :slight_smile:

1 Like

I

I am still having to remind people that they need stereo equipment to seriously listen to music. One Sonos will not be enough :slight_smile: At least, those little headphones are stereo.

1 Like

AirPods Max are meant to sound superb.

Iā€™m sure with better-than-AAC streams from Apple, they should sound even better.

Iā€™m believing that better technology is already there, just not enabled yet. So hopefully it will make another big improvement for those that have invested in them. Though I imagine most are already pleased with their investment

1 Like

You seem to be forgetting that airplay is restricted to a certain make of device. The world is more than iOS and Mac OS of which I use neither for home use, nor do lots of people. Apple may have an upper hand in the US but thatā€™s it. Also airplay is hardly the best transport not exactly bit perfect and no way of hires.

There is Apple Music for Androidā€¦

With a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (one example) just Chromecast from your phone to the CXNā€¦

You donā€™t get it do you. I already covered this. Chromecast is not that weā€™ll supported on hifi its gaining ground but not really there and it struggles with gapless. Connect works without either.

Lol what a rude reply

1 Like

Apologies wasnā€™t meaning to be rude badly written response in a hurry whilst preparing lunch. What I am trying to get at is that until they open it up so its integrated properly like Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify etc its not really a viable platform unless your already in the apple eco system. There really isnā€™t that many hifi devices that support Chromecast out there. Newer models seem to be adding it but not that many more the lifestyle choice ones. I donā€™t dismiss then adding it but itā€™s appeal will be limited outside of appleā€™s eco system. I honestly donā€™t know one person who uses it thatā€™s not an Apple user.

Good to see they added gapless but itā€™s taken a long time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Knowing Apple, I donā€™t think there will be a ā€˜cat in hellā€™s chanceā€™ of Roon integration with Apple Music, like we have with Qobuz & Tidal.

Apple will insist that you use their own iOS/Android platforms, and Airplay 2 to a compatible device.

Hereā€™s a nice little endpoint, which is both Roon-Ready and Apple Airplay 2:

https://www.primare.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/NP5-Prisma-User-Guide.pdf

Couple that combo with ā€˜Apple Digital Mastersā€™, and it could potentially trounce the competition completely:

I donā€™t particularly like using the Apple Music app. But if/when Apple introduces Hi-Fi streaming, it could pose a potential threat to Roonā€¦

If I get it at no additional cost, I have no problem discovering new music or streaming my mobile playlists to my Aries G2 via Airplay.

3 Likes

I think it far more likely that Apple will develop a very Roonesque platform of their own.

4 Likes

They already have the basics in their own Music app.

1 Like

And, a Toyota Yaris has the basics of a Bugatti Veyron. But the Veyron is a much more powerful machine.

I wouldnā€™t underestimate Apple. Many have, and many have regretted it.

Couple an iPad running the Apple Music app, with an Apple Music ā€˜Hi-Fiā€™ subscription, Airplay 2 to a PRIMARE NP5 with full 24/192 support, and you have a compelling case of simplicity, reliability and quality.

This little arrangement could make Roon, Tidal and Qobuz completely obsolete in a strokeā€¦

3 Likes

IMHO, Apple Music currently is a toy compared to Roon, and I have extensive experience with it. Heck, when I had Apple Music, I had a library in excess of 800k tracks, but was dissatisfied with it. I tried JRivers, Audivana, and everything else, until God led me to Roon, which, for me anyway, was light years ahead of anything else (well, maybe God wasnā€™t involved, but it sure was a divine experience). After a week of using Roon, I ditched Apple Music, all the library, and anything else Apple Music related. And, I am far more musically happy for it. Even if I were to get Apple HiFi for free, I would not do it unless they can give me a Roon-like experience. The Apple Music app make that impossible.

I donā€™t like the Apple Music app either Neil. And as a happy lifetime member of Roon, Iā€™m committed to it.

My point is, for new users/streamers the Apple option may be (depending on what they release?) very seductive.

No need for a Roon core or Roon subscriptions. Just an iPad and something to stream toā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m warming to streaming, much less maintenance, no backup concerns, only advantages really. The question is, who gets my money? Itā€™s not going to be anyone offering less than lossless, Spotify, Amazon, Apple must have figured that out too.

2 Likes

None of them cared until Amazon Music HD made the first move.

That changed the game and made the 300 million pound gorilla angry :triumph:

:smile:

2 Likes

I think the $2tn dollar gorilla wants to be top-of-the-tree: