Apple Music High Res

Streaming is to some extent deleterious especially for small record labels.

Some big names still makes money with streaming. Let’s be honest, what percentage are they representing in comparison with the millions of small artists available in the streaming catalogues? I don’t have precise figures – very small, I suppose.

Small labels never did big money, let alone with streaming.

Right on this forum I read about an example involving Hyperion Records showing a huge discrepancy between revenues of CD sales, file download sales and streaming.

A few weeks ago I was listening a direct testimony of a relatively small record company stating they get $ 0,01 for every played song. And that is gross amount…

Not all streaming services are equal. Spotify, Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple and others treat differently labels. Some pays more others less. Apple isn’t the worst player in this arena.

So, why are they accepting the terms of these big streaming companies? Because streaming represents a big showcase. A gigantic musical catalogue, that the mankind never experienced before. Hoping that someone, attracted by an appreciated song/album decides to buy it.

Some are worried, wondering where will all this lead us. I say “us” because it involves the listeners too. If only big name artists will thrive, then the musical panorama could somehow flatten.

I stop here, because it’s going OT.

4 Likes