Apple Music High Res

Personally I would rather see Bandcamp setup a paid service and have that in Roon more than anything else. To me its the perfect fit for Roon and it has the band’s interests at the centre of what it does.

6 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting that, you are right we’ve been sliding down this slope for a long time.

Agreed, would love to see that.

Great idea. Bandcamp is the best way (other than going to a show or buying merch) of directly supporting the artist, certainly much more than streaming.

+1 and +Primephonic.

Streaming is killing music, I vote for Bandcamp.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Except if I take the elevator, I’m forced to listen to that music, even if I don’t like it. :grinning:

Another similar annoyance nowadays are portable speakers (smart or non smart, no difference). Yes, boomboxes were similar – still, I find those young guys playing outside rap/trap/crac/frack or whatever is called via bluetooth … irrespective.

Man, I’m getting old… :grinning:

You cant intently listen to music and still lift weights in your basement? 6 feet away from some monster speakers!

100%, wasn’t suggesting otherwise. I was referring to people who specifically say that phrase I.e. it literally is just to kill silence.

Maybe people know this already, but on your Windows 10 computer, you can go to the following web site to play your Apple music library. If you plug in your USB DAC, you can play high resolution (I think). I’m having a hard time verifying that. Maybe it makes more sense to use the iTunes app on Windows 10. IDK.

music.apple.com

If you use iTunes and a DAC, go into Edit - Preferences - Playback and choose 24/192.

Mike I completely agree with that sentiment.
Streaming is a good way to sample music but if you really like an album go and buy it. I have tried to do this a lot more since lockdown started

3 Likes

You know your getting old when you start digging the elevator and grocery store music. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ll have to respectfully disagree on this one. If it’s available to stream why waste the money unless you feel streaming will fail. It clearly will not with the big boys now involved.

I will say though that with excellent dacs , downloads and ripped cd’s can sound slightly better.

Not sure why that is but it is.

1 Like

I own no 78’s, 45’s, LP’s, 8-tracks, cassettes, tape reels, CD’s, DVD’s, or digital files. Those days are long gone for me.

Edit: I’m deleting this entire post, since more recent data differs depending on the article one clicks on…I’m sorry about that, however, my point about streaming benefitting rights holders more than artists still stands, and, no, we’re still not entitled to tell someone else how to spend their money.

Again, it seems harder to get APPLEs to apples comparisons anymore :wink: when it comes to these payouts, as they are shifting more regularly than they were just a couple of years ago.

Streaming is to some extent deleterious especially for small record labels.

Some big names still makes money with streaming. Let’s be honest, what percentage are they representing in comparison with the millions of small artists available in the streaming catalogues? I don’t have precise figures – very small, I suppose.

Small labels never did big money, let alone with streaming.

Right on this forum I read about an example involving Hyperion Records showing a huge discrepancy between revenues of CD sales, file download sales and streaming.

A few weeks ago I was listening a direct testimony of a relatively small record company stating they get $ 0,01 for every played song. And that is gross amount…

Not all streaming services are equal. Spotify, Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple and others treat differently labels. Some pays more others less. Apple isn’t the worst player in this arena.

So, why are they accepting the terms of these big streaming companies? Because streaming represents a big showcase. A gigantic musical catalogue, that the mankind never experienced before. Hoping that someone, attracted by an appreciated song/album decides to buy it.

Some are worried, wondering where will all this lead us. I say “us” because it involves the listeners too. If only big name artists will thrive, then the musical panorama could somehow flatten.

I stop here, because it’s going OT.

4 Likes

Great post, Marco…Lesson here…go to shows, buy from Bandcamp LOL

1 Like

It’s absolutely your right to only stream music, but I don’t think it’s good for the music industry (or more precisely the bands).

We all make decisions on what to spend our hard earned money on, mine has been to support more bands mainly through Bandcamp.

No complaints about the quality of streaming music

1 Like

I steam and then support smaller indie artists through Bandcamp.

1 Like