Apple Music High Res

Curious to see what the metadata / credits looks like with Classical app. An Apple boss has said this stuff will improve the general Apple Music app itself.

Time to crank up Apple Music on my iPhone so I can use regular unlimited Verizon data instead of Verizon hotspot data. I have used 153GB streaming Roon (Tidal and Qobuz) to my laptop Roon core during the past 3 weeks at the MILā€™s house. Weā€™re going home Sunday and I need to save my remaining 10GB of hotspot for other activities such as hanging out on this forum. :grinning:

1 Like

Hmm. I have unlimited data on my phone account so no need to get another subscription.

I have unlimited data on two iPhones and two iPads. However, the hotspot data on all of them gets throttled after a certain amount. I use hotspot data with Roon on Dell laptop.

Well, my ā€œmad moneyā€ came in as expected. Time for a new Apple MacBook Air M2. Not so fast Jim. Wife wants multifocal cataract lenses for $3800 each eye, above and beyond what Medicare pays. Oh well, didnā€™t need that MacBook anyway.

3 Likes

Out of :hearts:
Sounds like the right choice, right mindset
You are a happy man

2 Likes

Thanks. Apple is supposedly going to introduce an Apple Music lossless, high resolution version for Windows soon. That should accomplish what Iā€™m after.

EDIT: And it did with Apple Music Preview.

1 Like

Out of Apple Music and iTunes for 4 years now :slight_smile: still using iCloud 200G

Apple Music is a great ā€œfall backā€ for Roon, especially if you get it for free from your cellular provider. :smiley: And it works well with CarPlay with no issues.

2 Likes

not the case in Romania. Fall backsā€¦ another to keep in sync :slight_smile:

Itā€™s easy with Soundiz. I sync Qobuz to Apple Music about once a week. I keep Tidal and Qobuz in sync using Roon Versions, no local music. Basically, I have the same 1500 albums and 12 playlist on all three.

1 Like

Another payed account :slight_smile: I do use soundiz but sometimes it is easier to have tidal app opened and save from there.

I pay $120 for Tidal, $130 for Qobuz, and $36 for Soundiz. Roon (2 lifetimes) and Audirvana 3.5 are paid for and I donā€™t plan to renew Audirvana Studio. Apple Music is free from Verizon. Thatā€™s a total of $286 per year for my one and only hobby at age 75. Compared to my previous hobbies, flying and drag racing, itā€™s less than insignificant and my only vice.

7 Likes

Congrats to you sir.

Iā€™ll be there, after a dac, new speakers, headphones, headphone ampā€¦ :rofl:

Oh the 2 kids are my real expenses :slight_smile: the above is just savings

1 Like

Truth be told Iā€™m barely using Apple Music. I have it as part of my Apple One subscription.

Qobuz and Tidal have all the music that I listen to and now with Roon ARC everything is available in one app outside of my house as well.

Only good things about Apple Music are their playlists and having Siri listening to unknown music that I hear being played so she can look it up on Apple Music.

I would not be using Apple Music if it wasnā€™t free from Verizon Wireless with my cell plan. But, since I have it, it is a great backup for Roon and works with CarPlay when/if Roon ARC fails.

1 Like

I finally broke down and installed Windows 11 on my Dell XPS 15 and Apple Music Preview. Itā€™s playing lossless high resolution Apple Music with no problems.

I guess I can stop longing for an Apple Macbook Air M2. My Dell is now fully capable for away-from-home use with Roon core, Audirvana Studio and 3.5, and Apple Music Preview. And, I can use Roon ARC with two Roon lifetime licenses. Meaning, I donā€™t need to unauthorize my Nucleus.

The Windows 11 version that installed is 22H2. There was an error message with the first try, but it installed OK with the second try. I think there are some issues with Dell getting the current version to install, but fortunately, it worked on the second try with no additional fooling around necessary.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using AM for those times when I was losing connection with ARC because itā€™s easy to just say Hey Siri Play my radio station or shuffle my music. Last week I changed the ARC settings to original quality and Iā€™ve had a lot less problem with poor connectivity. It has happened a couple times as opposed to every single day multiple times day. I realize this would be a problem for those without unlimited wireless data.

As someone who has a Dell XPS and an Apple Macbook Pro, you should still be lusting after the macbook, there is no comparison. :smiley:

I have the Dell for CAD and other technical software that just plain isnā€™t available on the mac platform (looking at you, solidworks)

Sheldon

Why? I use my Dell to control my Roon Nucleus at home, run some spreadsheets, and surf the web. I also use it occasionally to run Audirvana. Now, with Apple Music Preview, I can use it for lossless, high resolution Apple Music. Away from home, I use it for all of the above plus Roon core.

Why would I spend $1500 to do what I can already do? My Dell is an i7 with 32gb RAM, 1TB SSD, and 4K touch screen. I just installed a new battery last week. The ONLY reason I was considering an Apple was for lossless, high resolution Apple Music plus running Roon and Audirvana on one machine. I can do that now with the Dell.

EDIT: But, Iā€™m sure the Apple is a really nice machine, if I needed a new computer.

EDIT: If anyone needs a simple, low cost way to stream lossless, high resolution music, this might be it.

2 Likes