Apple Music High Res

With AirPlay the source iOS/iPadOS/macOS device continually sends the stream to the AirPlay device. There is no cloud handover like Spotify Connect. As the devices need to be on the same network, and remain connected there is additional battery drain on mobile devices which is less than ideal.

There is an exception to this with Apple Music and HomePod, which works like Spotify Connect. In this scenario it’s also possible for other members of a household to control Apple Music on the HomePod with their Apple devices.

This leads me to believe there’s a good chance Apple Music could have Spotify Connect like functionality with third party DACs and streamers provided Apple has the will.

2 Likes

Seems very likely, given Bluenodes comment, they appear to be very willing.

The next step is they will probably start selling lossless albums and tracks. But they can’t do that without implementing some sort of upgrade path for those who already bought AAC music previously.

Apple has a history of allow you to upgrade. In the past, they charged a small price to upgrade from the crappier lossy to their current but better lossy.

Apple have confirmed that they won’t be selling high res tracks and all features are exclusive to Apple Music. Only AAC as usual will be available via the iTunes Store.

They’ve confirmed iTunes purchases won’t be upgraded, if you bought an album in AAC it will stay that way.

I don’t think it’s rocket science to expect Airplay to support hi-res at some point.

It is doubtful with the current firmware on current hardware but surely nobody expects that to be the end of the road…

Can expect new hardware to support it… whether this year or next year, we’ll find out soon.

1 Like

They may have with me.

Yet, with this initial release. The may in the future.

Possibly but it doesn’t seem to add a lot of value. If you want high res you can buy it from Qobuz.

iTunes purchases have collapsed and Apple doesn’t seem to believe that selling the files is worth it and goes against their business model, to gain more subscribers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love that option, just don’t believe it’s very likely.

Not if you live in a place where there is no Qobuz.

1 Like

Actually that’s a very good point. My bad.

I have the same fears but not about to jump the gun and help ensure the demise. Apple Music isn’t even close to being a replacement for my local+Tidal+Qobuz library that includes hi-res and surround formats, etc. We all need to support the companies like Roon and Qobuz that are giving us what we want. No way in hell I’m switching to Apple Music as it wouldn’t even begin to fill my needs.

5 Likes

Same here, but on the other hand I’ve been a subscriber for five or six years, so… Haha

For those who don’t know, Apple has an audio engineer with some serious audiophile chops.

Thomlison Holman (Advent, APT Corp., LucasFilm/THX). He worked with Henry Kloss at Advent, moved on to develop the APT/Holman preamp in the mid/late 70’s and developed THX for Lucas Films.

If audio is a priority at Apple, they can bring some game.

5 Likes

Qobuz with a full catalog would keep me around. Don’t see it though.

3 Likes

MacRumors now confirming that HomePod will not support any form of lossless audio. It will support Dolby:

Apple Music will be gaining support for two new audio formats in June, including Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio, but MacRumors has received confirmation that the HomePod and HomePod mini will not support Lossless Audio.

I think it needs to be reiterated that no wireless headphones support lossless audio. It’s just not supported by current BlueTooth technology. Is Apple working on some potential new protocol to allow it at some point in the future? Probably.

That said, we’ve been able to stream lossless and even high res from Apple devices for years using various apps and an external DAC like the Chord Mojo, and wired headphones. We’ve even been able to play lossless and high res. file using the Apple Music app, using tracks stored locally on the iOS device.

What Apple is doing now with their lossless and high res. feature is just offering the same that has already been available with Qobuz and Tidal apps, and others, for years.

1 Like

Looks like Apple needs some new product releases to go along with their spiffy new service!

3 Likes

Damn it Apple, now I have to decide whether to keep my Spotify family account and wait for their HiFi or switch to Apple Music. I’m keeping my Qobuz though … :smiley:

The biggest issue with Qobuz? Their pencil thin catalog. They are the best sounding service.

6 Likes

Minor point but for a while, higher bitrate AAC has been supported for iCloud uploads for years…

Less lossy ! :crazy_face:

1 Like