Apple Music High Res

I haven’t tried one, but I believe a device like this should do what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Interface-Coaxial-Optical-Audio/dp/B08HN3VSF8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Although I can’t speak to the specifics, word (from Darko Audio) is Airplay will go up to 24/48 but no higher.

Support was there, but was then pulled

But why then does AirPort Express have a 24/192 DAC if the protocol doesn’t support it?

Good question, I do not know. Maybe that DAC was a better option cost and/or performance wise?

Because Apple probably quite rightly think that only a few people will ever notice and even they won’t effect sales.

For early generations: 192kHz is downsampled to 16/44.1

Just an update on this…

With local files, the Music app on macOS is bit perfect for 16/44.1 stuff using both Airplay (system sound) and USB DAC, as I mentioned previously.

But I was lazy last time and didn’t test the 96kHz and 192kHz bit perfect test files that come with my RME DAC (using USB connection).

USB connection is not bit perfect for these higher sample rates , for me. Which is interesting.

Not a problem with Roon, HQPlayer, Audirvana - so it’s not my (certified) USB cable, in case someone suggests :slight_smile:

And yes, I manually change Audio MIDI sample rate to match the sample rates of the files.

So I wonder what the Music app on macOS is doing with these higher sample rates

:thinking:

Any thoughts @wklie ?

Strange. I’m sure volume was 100 % in Apple Music. Do you use Sound Source software?

Yep, otherwise the 44.1k bit perfect test wouldn’t have passed.

For this test, no need. It’s just straight USB DAC connection. I use it for other use cases though. But not this test.

So what do you think is the culprit?

It’s gotta be the Music app (macOS) ay? It’s doing something funky. That’s the only variable I can think of?

Can you ask your senior Apple contact !

:grinning:

I doubt he would know to be honest. He/she is more on the negotiating end of dealing with the various music labels. Not on the tech side. I wonder if mac os beta vs non-beta would make a difference?

Of course but surely they can pickup the phone or email someone in the Music app team

Tell them to make themselves useful :grinning:

No idea. I’m not keen on trying beta. Unless someone else can test, we’ll have to wait and test in Sep/Oct when next macOS is out

It doesn’t surprise me it’s a bit of a mess - it was rushed to get ahead of Spotify HiFi coming…

But if they don’t fix these issues with next OS release I’ll be p!$$ed lol

2 Likes

If there is a way to change the bit depth, please try matching it to the RME test track bit depth.

2 Likes

RME has 16bit, 24bit and 32bit test files.

16bit 96kHz and 16bit 192kHz both fail. And 24 bit versions too.

16/44.1 , 24/44.1 and even 32bit/44.1 pass although the latter displays 24bits on the RME.

If I remember correctly, I recall someone had MQA bit perfect integrity destroyed by a software like this for audio routing, even if configured not to use any DSP.

Sound Source actually passes the 44.1k bit perfect test in my case.

I tested with and without routing.

ADI-2 doesn’t allow you to change bit depth in Audio MIDI - it’s fixed at 32 bit.

If it is not too much trouble, please consider uninstalling the Sound Source temporarily.

1 Like

:angry:

fine.

:slight_smile:

1 Like