Apple Music High Res

So the only complaint I have is no auto midi switching on a mac device. Their mobile devices all auto switch the sampling rate.
Im hoping Airplay will eventually handle hi res or have a Spotify Connect like feature.

If this happens , this music service will be great.

2 Likes

I hope that’s coming next week with macOS 12 Monterey, I’ve not seen any rumours though.

2 Likes

If only Spotify weren’t such putzes.

2 Likes

LMAO . So true sadly.

Okay so if you are using Apples AirPods or AirPods Pro via bluetooth you are not listening to lossless audio. They can only support AAC (mp3). Now if you turn on Dolby Atmos it sounds better but that is literally in your head. Sounds great on my 7.2 home Theater but not so much for music but I am a purist wanting to hear music the way it was recorded. If you enjoy it great.

If you hook an iPad or iPhone via usb to a dac you are listening to bit perfect lossless audio I have done this with my Bryston BR20 and Hotel California and it plays at 24/192.Have watched the DAC go from 44-192 depending on song.

If you play via Shairport sync Airplay 1 you playback at 16/44 which is still a huge improvement over aac (mp3) yet not as good as connecting USB. I stick with Airplay simply because it allows control of music. With usb connection there is no way to remotely control I did test a 15’ cable and that worked but I purchased Lightning and type a adapter so charging is done through Lightning and Type A just passes signal.

Last option is connecting via HDMI or Toslink from a MAC or PC Not bit perfect everything cones out at 24/48. This does allow control from a iPhone or iPad. Often then if Roon Core is installed on device you can run either Roon or iTunes not both.

Learned this all of Google read Apple press release covers Bluetooth bit. Everything else I have confirmed myself with my ears and eyes.

1 Like

Sorry but Airplay 2 does not play lossless at all it’s aac and is only available via MacOs or iOS clients no shareplay for it. This has been confirmed by many vendors now that when airplay 2 is used it drops to aac likely to make sync play and multiroom more reliable. Legacy Airplay however will be lossless up to 44.1/16 so this works for devices using shareplay or still haven’t upgraded to Airplay 2. Shareplay is open source reverse engineered Airplay it doesn’t support Airplay2.

2 Likes

Why buy products from a company (“we have a load of Apple devices in our house”) that you want to “burn out”??? The more you buy, the less it will burn. :woozy_face:

I wonder if ios 15.1 will fix this issue with airplay 2 . Here’s betting it will. It comes out on Monday.

Edited out Airplay 2 comment.

I still stand by Airplay working at 16/44 for both Apple Music and Roon with the BR20

I raise you 1000 it won’t.

We will see . It will be quite disappointing if it doesn’t fix the Airplay 2 issue of playing aac instead of alac when playing Apple Music

Did I ever say never ?.It’s a very big change to the whole protocol that brings with it complexities it’s never had to deal with before like having to know what each but of hardware is capable of. It may well come but likely in Airplay 3. They have found it hard enough getting reliable lossless on the Homepods according to beta users and no mention of it anywhere I know of but it might pop up but at the moment may statement stands and is 100% true and not on rumours. I seem to recall you claimed Bryston had integrated Apple Music into their hardware after it was launched when it was just an iPad via USB. So excuse my scepticism. Also the app says your playing lossless via Airplay 2 when it’s not Naim and other brands already said the stream it receives is aac regardless of what the app says. They showed the diags so yes I am not making it up it’s also been shown by other brands. Choose to believe what you want but currently your getting nothing but aac via Airplay 2 and only 44.1 lossless by legacy Airplay.

1 Like

Don’t tell me head on over here and discuss I told you my findings.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172721.300

Heck take a Pi 4B run Ropieee XL with Shairport-Sync turned you should be able to hear difference immediately. The difference with AAC and 16/44 is obvious its not up-converting that doesn’t bring the SQ I am hearing.

1 Like

Been there see above.

Here is the post from Naims software guru.showing what I said. Nothings changed since then as I am a beta tester and I somehow don’t thing little old Bryston have any sway over at Apple to change how it works.

Head to your local Bryston shop give it a listen, use your ears instead of your eyes.
He said she said so it must be true.

1 Like

Should have been more specific - Apple Music

Can this be turned on and off? If so, how?

But why do you want Apple Music to “burn out”? It’s a music service and you are free to use it or not. If people don’t like the service, it will fold. What is so ‘evil’ about AM compared to Spotify, Deezer, …?
I think we should just be happy that 1) AM provides hi-res and 2) that we have so many options available.
I don’t think many people will abandon Qobuz and Roon (for instance) because of the price, with AM being ridiculously cheap. A difference of 10 €/ $ in price is peanuts to audiophiles! (If it’s not, get yourself a different hobby, because as a hobby it is expensive.) If people should switch, it’s because of other factors (catalogue size, convenience of use, mobile app, …)

6 Likes

Why do we have to think in terms of evil and good? We should just determine what is Apple Music. Is it hi-res or fake hi-res? Was the announcement of being able to do something along these lines premature? Like Roon, are hundreds of manufacturers really being served with a transport protocol that can do high-res?

Who makes the old loudspeakers more colorful in the current show and offers a cleaning cloth now liable to pay the costs for 25 €, cannot help his music service with it to new shine.

If you can’t get your own development done in time and reliably, you’re buying the technology. Did Beats, EchoNest or any other purchase bring the breakthrough or the collapse? The answers are provided by the market and more than 1,000,000,000 customers who now use other music services worldwide, especially on cell phones.

Ipod, iTunes were big decades ago with the iPhone should be carried over 800,000,000 iTunes customers safely into the new port. Not everyone has made this development journey on their own, but Apple has a customer acceptance problem with their TV and music services. All pre-installed, 95% of iPhone users take something else. Why? It certainly wasn’t because of iPhone sales. There 1,423,000,000 sold in the last 7 years and there 421,000,000 iPhones sold in the 7 years before that. A sales base and device foundation that no competitor with an in-house music service has ever achieved.

Sales of Apple iPhones worldwide in the fiscal years 2007 to 2020(in millions)

MusicMatch was already in the market shortly after the turn of the millennium, wanted to enter into a marriage with a great future with Apple, but the fall from grace of a Windows version led to a divorce and then it was working with methods that are still the subject of lawsuits today. Maybe there is something evil in the management protocols there? Monopolies are always bad for customers. Apple was the only one that really had this opportunity and device base. They failed miserably and lost 95% of their customers in the music market in the meantime. In the TV business, they want to pay artists less because they can’t reach 20,000,000 viewers, and in music, they stopped counting publicly shortly after reporting 50,000,000 customers. Billions of people are in the market and Apple believes with Primephonic everything will be fine after another 6 months.

The first mistake in thinking is that audiophiles and iPhone users are not a homogeneous customer group. The second mistake is to always be faster in marketing but not in technology. The third mistake is to drag Hi-Res into a price war. All this is not evil, but not smart either!

High resolution images, many options, device diversity, in-car solutions have many competitors and the size of the catalog, ease of use and especially the mobile app doesn’t seem to have gained traction with over 1,00,000,0000 Apple customers.

I think Apple will crash to third or fourth place in the next two years or sign off altogether. The problem is indeed not solved by the better price, but the superior technology and if more than a cleaning cloth comes, maybe it will be something after all.

1 Like